Mt Fuji anyone????

dreimer

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed Mt Fuji in Sept, 2001. Many, Many locals try to get to the top at sunrise, so it's hard to beat the herd. I was passed by a bent over grandma that was at least 90 years old. About 1,000 made the summit with me that day. That in Sept when much of the Mtn is closed. In August it'll be a long line with thousands. Worthwhile and easy, just a big slog on marked trails. Bring our own water or pay for it, the price goes up as you gain elevation. Mail a post card from the summit.

It's worthwhile. Expect hoards. Be sure to get your walking stick and get it stamped at each station and don't forget summit stamp. It's a cool momento but all those stamps add up. Carry your own food and water since the costs on the mountain are crazy. We dicided to enjoy a little sake and sobe at the summit as we watched a thunderstorm pass. At least the rain washed away the smell of urine on the way down. Turns out we were there on their national everyone-climb-Fuji day (or something like that) so the decent was soooooo slow. There is a bypass scree trail that allows a fairly quick decent once you reach it.

I hiked up Fuji in 2002.

I did not know what to expect so I caught the bullet train (Shinkansen) at 5:00 am in Tokyo, and got off at the Shin Fuji (New Fuji) station.

I caught a taxi to station number 5 on Fuji – Go-go-me. (That was my most expensive mistake.) I think it was about 10,000 yen or so. The busses were not running yet and I wanted to get up and down in time so I could catch a buss back.

I looked up the Mt. and there was an unbroken dark line of people either going up or down. I was amazed at how many people were coming down at that time in the morning. Then I learned that most people climb Fuji for the sunrise. Oh, well, to late for me. I was going up with this sea of humanity.

I got to the top around 1:30 or so. I walked around the creator rim and took a short nap. About 3:00 I hustled down to catch that last buss back to the Mishima Train Station where I leaned that the Japanese National Rail (JNR) has a JNR East, and JNR West; and JNR East does not accept credit cards. Oops! I don’t travel with cash and all I had was a visa – don’t leave home with out it. Fortunately a VERY kind person who was traveling to Tokyo bought my ticket for me and I used my Visa at an ATM in Tokyo and paid him back; it could have become an epic.

Well, to make a short story long, as I just did, I got back to Tokyo about 10:30.

Take your own water and food. There 10 stations, I think, from the base of Fuji to the summit. Climbing (and I use the word very loosely) starts at station No.5, about 7,500 feet I would guess. At every station there is a place to buy food and water. Oh, and yes, it is VERY expensive. (Actually stations No.6 and 7 had vending machines.)

If you have the time and patients you can buy a wooden souvenir walking stick and get a little burnt mark on it at each station. I did not do this.

There two sets of ropes defining the path and you are to stay in the path. I would guess the path to be 3 to 4 meters wide.

Another option, depending on the time allowed, you can catch a “Climb Mt. Fuji” tour buss from Tokyo, mostly out of the Shinjuku area. It will be a lot less expensive than the Train, taxi, bus, train option, and that will get you there and back again.

All in all it is a mountain that would be fun to ski in the spring if they would allow it. (I am told it is against to law to do a winter climb of M. Fuji.)

I have heard Japanese climbers say it is (you are) foolish if you are a climber and have never climbed Fuji once; it is (you are) foolish if you are a climber and have climbed Fuji twice.

Oh crud, did I just do my first TR 6 years after the fact?

Edited by sirwoofalot