North Side of Everest Closed for Spring 08 Season

Layback

The Chinese are up to it again. The country that brought you the first falsified ascent of Everest and the aluminum ladder at the Second Step has closed the North Side of Everest and Cho Oyu to climbing parties this spring season. All this so that the Olympic Torch Relay can make it's way to the summit without the reported threat of a "Free Tibet" sign in the background. Two stories follow:

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17097

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17091

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the Chinese were able to close the ENTIRE mountain, south side as well as north.

"To make sure that nothing does disrupt it, the Chinese closed the mountain's north side in Chinese-occupied Tibet last week. At the weekend came the news that they have persuaded Nepal to close it from the south side also."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/climbers-banned-from-everest-as-china-seeks-to-stop-protests-on-summit-796782.html

The Olympics have never been about unity and freedom. They're about nationalism and marketing. Oh, and athletics in there someplace.

I read in an article elsewhere about this that the Nepalese agreed to close down access from the Khumbu side for a 10-day period and not the entire season.

This will be certainly be a disruption to the climbing on that side but it seems surmountable in some respects. In the past few years, many groups have been putting large numbers on the summit well past the 10th and into the second half of the month. This will just require getting the acclimatization work prior to the period when they'll be closing down the route. Many groups also come off the mountain in this early May period, particularly if the weather isn't great, and head to lower elevations to let their groups recharge a bit.

The big problem, however, will be the big number of groups moving up the mountain once the 10th passes.

I suspect this season will set a record for the most Tibet flags and Free Tibet signs displayed on the summit.

yes, it is for that ten-day period. Of course, depending on the weather, that may be the only summit opportunity.

Maybe we shouldn't cry crocodile tears for folks who can afford $60,000+ and months off work to go climb Mt. Everest, but if I were one of those down there in base camp, I'd be pretty pissed.

And, what happens if the weather doesn't cooperate for those ten days, and the torch-bearers end up not being able to summit until the 15th, or later? Does everyone just sit on their butts until the heroic People's party says it's okay to climb?

The arrogance of that government never ceases to amaze me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I heard this rumor from the media that there is a concerted effort amongst climbers (if there is such a thing) to summit other prominent peaks around the globe on May 10th with "Free Tibet" flags, etc, in protest of the Chinese ban on Everest?

Anyone heard much about this??

Let's do that anyway...a great present to myself since my B-Day is May 10th....