Any suggestions for a New Climber

jimmy b

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful who you go out with. Most people on this site are trustworthy and will give you a realistic summary of their skill level. Some are downright dangerous. So far, I have not had any really dangerous encounters but I have heard of a few.

Read Freedom of the hills.

PM sent.

I have done lots of backing and i want to take it to the next level. I would like to summit rainier, eventually. I was told to do baker first. If this is true, any suggestions of how i should go about this. thanks, jim

there are lots of cool, relatively safe peaks to try out as well: Ruth/Icy (Mt. Baker area), Sahale Peak via Sahale Arm, Snow King, Mt Daniel, Adams via S Spur all come to mind. Good luck!

Backpacking where? Around here or elsewhwere? The reason this is important is do you have glacier-travel experience/skills. You'll want to learn those before venturing up on Rainier or Baker.

Mountaineers is a pretty good way to get started learning about glacier travel. They are very regimented though, so I would say use them as a base for your knowledge and be open to new ideas after you get your grounding there.

Better would be if you had a group of experienced friends to instruct you. But chances are if you posting here to a bunch of anonymous strangers, that option is not available.

Edited by chucK

In addition to the Boalps and Mountaineers suggestions, I will add a 3rd: The Bushwhackers. This is a small Seattle - based climbing club who offers a glacier skills course starting in April and continuing through early June that I took last year to learn and practice what you can read in FotH. I had a very positive experience with this group, and have remained active in their club. I came to the group with a rock climbing and backpacking background, and summited Baker and Rainier last summer (read: got the requisite skills from their course, was fortunate to have good teammates, and got lucky with the weather).

Their website is here .

Best of luck pursuing your goals!

I'm sure that you could find people on this board to give you some instruction. Also, you might think about hiring a guide for a weekend, if you've got cash.

If you're smart (and brave), and that doesn't appeal to you, then READ, READ, READ, grab a friend, do some practice in the yard, and then go out and do something easy. I'm sure people on this board could recommend some easy objectives.

don't get started.

its addcitive. has the potential to cause strife in relationships, negligence at work, misappropriation of your funds into gear, obsession with the constant fresh air, views, and challenge. Tends to make you more asocial. etc etc etc

take up golf instead. -- builds social, economic, and political networks, only lasts 4 hours, you can let yourself get fat and it does not affect your performance, you usually get to ride around, and an "alpine" start for golf is around 7-8 a.m.

so my best suggestion is DON'T

if you ignore this, which you will likely do, good luck anyway.

don't get started.

its addcitive. has the potential to cause strife in relationships, negligence at work, misappropriation of your funds into gear, obsession with the constant fresh air, views, and challenge. Tends to make you more asocial. etc etc etc

take up golf instead. -- builds social, economic, and political networks, only lasts 4 hours, you can let yourself get fat and it does not affect your performance, you usually get to ride around, and an "alpine" start for golf is around 7-8 a.m.

so my best suggestion is DON'T

if you ignore this, which you will likely do, good luck anyway.

Wow!

all the easy routes on the volcanoes should still be in good shape then - i'd recommend starting on something that doesn't feature glaciers, so hood's s side and adam's s side are good choices. KK's list above has other good things for you.