Some beta pictures appreciated - whitecap mtn

LeeLau

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks jordo - that means you'd like to come and do some big tricks off the cornice entry?

Glad to meet you yesterday at john B's slideshow John Scurlock and like I said, really appreciate your database of shots.

btw - the best approach route seems to be Whitecap Main from the NE around the Seton-Shalath route.

thanks jordo - that means you'd like to come and do some big tricks off the cornice entry?

Reverse fakie 720 crotchgrab to a double nonfat vanilla macchiato

. . .yesterday at john B's slideshow . . .

What's the lowdown - when's the new book coming out? Any cool "new" areas?

I remember when Alpine Select came out and Kevin McLane had a slide show a few months before . . . put up a picture of this big northfacing piece of ice and nobody knew where it was (Drew wasn't there :grlaf: ). When Kevin said it was the NF of Weart, it completely blew everyone's minds :moondance:

. . .yesterday at john B's slideshow . . .

What's the lowdown - when's the new book coming out? Any cool "new" areas?

That show was fascinating & mind-boggling & unbelievable in scope. Let's face it, most of us in here are "obsessed" to one degree or another, but he has set a high standard... in the best possible way. Somebody asked that last question, his reply (to a lot of laughter) - "Buy the book!"

He's still writing, pretty near the end, two chapters left I believe, and is saying early '09 hopefully? It will include northern BC, Stikine & Juneau IFs & more, that is slowing him down a bit.

There was a TR for Whitecap on this site by philfort a few years back, I was interested in the face and pm'd him for some beta..I coulndt find the TR but I did still have the PM not sure if its of any use to you but here it is

Cheers

Take the western approach to McGillivray pass from Gold Bridge... logging road was in great shape (2wd) 2 years ago. Parking just off the main road, on a brnach road that deteriorates quickly to a trail. There was a swampy section in the valley towards the pass, but on the way back we found a trail a hundred feet above the valley bottom or so, to the south, that avoided it. At the pass, cross the pass to the north into Connel creek (good trail in Connel creek, until you reach whitecap), then climb steep(!) meadows up south side of Whitecap. We camped in a little basin that had permanent snow, maybe 1000 or 1500ft below the summit. Took 8 hours or so.

Then you're on your own for crossing over to the north side and getting around to the n face - I'd be interested to see how it goes :-)

There was a TR for Whitecap on this site by philfort a few years back, I was interested in the face and pm'd him for some beta..I coulndt find the TR but I did still have the PM not sure if its of any use to you but here it is

good to see u at the JB show, lee. inspiring, eh?

jmace is right, there WAS a long report from phil fortier. and here's the link on his site:

http://www.mtnphil.com/Whitecap/Whitecap.html

unfortunately (a) no photos of the mtn - but LOTS of the bush! and (b) you're planning to ski it, so there's a chance the bush will be covered to some extent, plus © you need to talk to someone in the ministry of forests to suss out the status of the roads up Whitecap Ck and Connell Ck. i understand your idea is to approach via Connell, which makes sense - the maps show the road on that side to above 1500m - only 1350m to go!

good luck. remember, anything Trevor could do, you... oh, wait a minute... WHO was that again?

cheers,

The Lillooet FS does not exist anymore. It is now the amalgamated Cascades FS out of Merrit (they probably won't even know where Whitecap Creek is). The forest activity in Whitecap Creek is being carried out by Ainsworth lumber. They have new road in permit in Whitecap (the back end no less!), but they are neck deep in close to $1billion in unconsolidated debt, so I am not sure they will be in the mood to talk road access.

Good luck, wish I could help more.