[TR] Blanshard Needle Attempt - Standard Route 3/8/2008

Trip: Blanshard Needle Attempt - Standard Route

Date: 3/8/2008

Trip Report:

I met up with some BCMC'ers in Golden Ears Park for an attempt on Blanshard Needle today (March 8, 2008) and took the Evans Creek/Fly gulley approach. While we walked through the basin on the way to Fly's Gulley avalanches contantly roared off of Edge Peak, another slide came off the North side of Blanshard. The snow was wet and isothermal and we postholed to our knees and deeper in places. In these conditions Fly Gulley was basically a never ending gulley from hell and was a total burlfest to get to the top of, by the time we were out of the gulley and hit the notch at the start of the climb we were really short on time and I got as far as the end of the crux pitch before we decided to bail, it was probably a good idea as we would have likely been locked in the park had we continued. Even though we didn't make the summit I still had a good time leading the first pitch and getting a feel for mixed climbing (its surprisingly difficult...mostly because the holds aren't really tangible, all you can feel is the handle of your ice tool!)

Some Pics:

2320393210_2f7b8c10ab.jpg

At the col at the top of the gulley.

2319581633_0391cc4254.jpg

The peak starts to appear as we approach the notch.

2320392940_f1bd5e39e9.jpg

Blanshard Needle

2319581267_8206c6f339.jpg

Looking up to Edge Peak on the hike out.

Approach Notes:

Flys gulley is not in great shape

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that a friend of mine, Alex, went with you on Blanshard. Small world.

re: Self propelled: Definitely a shift in thinking, but you'd be surprised at what you can do. Baker has been done a couple of times, the Chehalis Traverse with Grainger, Mt. Judge Howay, Alpha in the Tantalus Range. All by bike from Vancouver. So Agassiz isn't that far :)