Canukistan ICE, Yeeeee Haaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Buckaroo

Canada ice is still very good, only the stuff in the sun is starting to go.

Climbed Weeping Wall right side and Louise falls in prime condition.

Left and Center of Weeping Wall is getting sun bleached. Polar Circus is still in and they just Avi bombed it. Everything on Davis Thompson still very good. It was -17C(low) last Wed night.

I've finally redeemed myself, back to leading grade 5. YEEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!!!!

TR with pics when I get time.

Get thee to Canada, there's still tons of good ice.

If they call you crazy you might as well be crazy.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One little heads up.

"The Crossing" at the Icefields Parkway and Davis Thompson Hiway junction is closed down. This is the only gas station for miles so gas up before you go on the parkway.

Don't depend on this gas stop being there as it has been in the past.

also the CBP (US Customs and Border Protection) is screening and searching as you LEAVE the US.

They didn't have a building, just cones in the road and a bunch of SUV's Labled CBP and drug sniffing dogs.

They were pretty rude, "pull up over there", "go stand over there", "hands out of your pockets"

They brought in a dog and he got in the car and tramped all over our gear. He didn't find any drugs but he did find the food. "come on boy, come on", dog didn't want to get out of the car.

Then we had to go through the Canada officials too, but they didn't search us this time.

What's up with that? searched while leaving the country.

What's up with that? searched while leaving the country.

If you're leaving one country your entering another. Still I've never been searched going into Canada and its usually the USBP that are the dicks, err, I mean guardians of our freedom.

To add to Buckaroo's report-

Been in Canmore for a month- Once of the best Feb/March ice seasons in recent memory(15 years)

A bit warm as of recent but north facing stuff is in great- Been mostly in the ghost-

Hydrophobia- driving in the Waiparous is in great shape and have only needed chains once for the last hill- have climbed it 3 times in the last 3 weeks and it is in great shape.

Sorcerer- trail is good and river crossing has a good log for crossing-have climbed it twice in the last week and it is in good conditions- replaced 1st and 3rd anchor stations with new cordalettes.

Green Angel- Only about 1.5 hours to this rare route that is in good shape- Have climbed it 3 times as of recent and replaced the top anchor with a new cordalette.

A little sun bake at mid point but still good pro. Get it while its good-

Wicked Wanda- great shape- good line on the left and new bolt anchor at the top- I forged a cool WI 6 line out the center roof. It has good screw placements up under the 5 foot roof. a fun harder variation at the moment-

All other usual stuff that is not in direct sun is in great-

Cheers,

Dale

The last time I gassed up at the crossing in winter was in Jan, 12 years ago.

""If you're leaving one country your entering another. ""

No, I'm saying that the US officials searched us as we were leaving the US. Not Canada as we were entering.

AFAIK only communist countries (up to this point) search their citizens as they LEAVE the country.

It wasn't like they were trying to deter terrorists. It was like a checkpoint within the country to round up "prisoners" for the burgeoning prison industry.

My bad, misunderstood that one.

I'll add to conditions. Anything thats not in the sun is in great. All the field climbs look good. Pilsners not touching but the mixed routes are fun. Krohnenberg got climbed today. Nemisis and other routes on the Stanley have been climbed several times this week alone. Icefields and DTH had plenty of ice. Kitty Hawk is really fat right now. Come up to Canada and get your last fix of ice before a long summer.