New Metolius cams

You guys bashing on aliens are all tools. Sell me your aliens and I'll add them to the sets I already have along with half of the best climbers in the country as well. Then go have fun wanking around on whatever prissy gear you feel has a big enough label to climb on.

Better yet, just turn in your rack and move to sport climbing. I think it would suit most of you better anyway.

-TCG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chill d00d....i didn't intend my post to be an alien bashing.

no way i'm getting rid of my aliens.... love em.. just though the mets looked and felt sweet.

it's like an old pickup truck that you love. go drive a bmw and it'll make you drool...but you keep the pickup truck

You guys bashing on aliens are all tools. Sell me your aliens and I'll add them to the sets I already have along with half of the best climbers in the country as well. Then go have fun wanking around on whatever prissy gear you feel has a big enough label to climb on.

Better yet, just turn in your rack and move to sport climbing. I think it would suit most of you better anyway.

-TCG

aren't you fucking hard core!

-TCG

aren't you fucking hard core!

Oh, ow. I should probably run away from the armchair jockey's now, I knew a quick troll couldn't be passed up by you guys! I'm probably going to get all "sprayed" on now. Crap. I sooo give up. Please start by shoving all your name brand gear up my ass first.

:)

The C3's only go up to #2 which is roughly the same size as the master cam #2. In that size I would bet that the C3's will work better just because the head size is smaller so the likelihood that the cams are seated well is high given the small margin of error. I haven't used that size much because I tend to climb routes well protected with nuts.

The next range of sizes should, I guess, be compared to Aliens, TCUs and the smallest C4's. What works best there would depend on the predominant features of the rock you climb. I have had good success with TCU because they seem to sit well in the little pockets that tend to be found in that range in Squamish. I find the small C4's in that size to be wide and would probably prefer a Master Cam or an Alien for the most part.

I'm definitely interested in checking out the Master Cams. I don't really *need* them at this point though.

Oh, ow. I should probably run away from the armchair jockey's now, I knew a quick troll couldn't be passed up by you guys! I'm probably going to get all "sprayed" on now. Crap. I sooo give up. Please start by shoving all your name brand gear up my ass first.

What are you, a #4 or #5 BD? Valley giant? :poke:

So I guess it's not IF you are buying any Bill, but how many sets did you buy? :lmao:

Ha ha - :lmao: actually I think I'm out of room in my basement, Ujahn has been wanting to get some Aliens as we always use mine and he doesn't own any, and I'd convinced him to hold off till now, so I'll be using his when he gets them!

After seeing your rack of aliens, I was tempted to try to get you to sell some but figured it would be a waste of valuable spray typing. I'm hoping to get my hands on some of these too before I pull the trigger on a whole set. They sure look nice though.

Thank you for placing your order with Mountain Gear.

Oh who am I kidding, serious impulse control issues here: after looking at the pics and panting like a dog staring at a bone, I just bought the 1,2, and 3 - which correspond to the most common Alien sizes I stuff in cracks. Bought them from Mountain Gear too, it's well deserved as Paul Fish of Mt Gear pull tested the Aliens and confirmed that they had some huge quality issues which led to the recall when CCH earlier had it's head stuck in the sand, you just got to love a guy like that.

Anyhow Dave, if you ever wander by where I happen to be, say hi and feel free to borrow and fondle. Kevbone had a handful of my small Alien offsets in use last weekend (the very ones Archenemy sold), so I don't get too touchy if you want to use some as long as I'm around and you don't hangdog on the stuff.

They just came in they just came in! Whoooo friggan whooooo. Thats fast!

1st) The fit and finish is world class suburb. It's Metolius, so I expect you could fall all day: you and your truck, and be fine.

HOWEVER, I wasn't prepared for how wide the cable assembly of the trigger is. I hadn't read anything about it, and I'd read all the reviews I could find. I suspect that there will be problems in certain placements where the width of this material will be interfering with the placement where a crack even narrows just a bit. All of them have this, but on the #1, the area next to the main cable starting 1-3/4" and extending to 3" below the business end of the cams towards the triggers measures .42", and thats on a piece which is designed to fit in a .50" (1/2") crack! Look at the side view, not the top view and you'll get this figured out at a glance.

I don't think it's an Alien killer yet.

Better made product? YES, hands down.

Alien Killer? No. This excessive width thing could be a huge negative issue functionally speaking. We'll see as time goes on what the actual effect, if any, this has. It is more significant on the small piece. (I got the 1,2 and 3) I suspect it has no functional effect on the #3. However, these are the most common sizes for me. Larger than that a reg. cam seems to work most of the time. Hope to get them out soon to see. Race you Porter:-)

Cya!