Leviathan Dome in Santa Cantalina Mountains, AZ

anyone here climb this dome?

is there another Leviathan dome somewhere other than in AZ?

the Falcon guidebook for the Nface route Sucks.

err, well at least 'cuz we had to turn around halfway up the dome, due to fading light on 2-27-08.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.climbaz.com/Backcountry/page_html/page26.html

This page is outta Bob Kerry's Backcountry Rockclimbing in Southern Arizona. The whole book is published online with his blessing and is a great resource. I'm curious if there were access issues as the note stated on the posted link.How was the approach? Not that I could get my fat ass up any of the routes....

yeah I have already saved most of the book to my laptop while in AZ.

The approach is a bit confusing when out on the trail.

The closure according to a Tucson gym is not as harsh regarding big horn sheep. Area specific, I guess. Nothing at the Park mentioned closures either. Hell we did not even see any sheep. My partner saw a deer. Saw swallows and heard a falcon and heard some coyotes in the morning...

Lots of cactus and many hours of swearing along in the wash which was in spring conditions. As stated in one of the instruction manuals, the climbing can be done in a day if familiar with the approach. We tried despite no route/approach knowledge except the books and a crappy map from the park, and as said failed due to light. Really it was the lack of desire to finish the climb in the dark via headlamp and then hike back to packs via rapel and scrambling and then do the descent to car which took I think 3.5 hrs anyways after rapelling from the traverse pitch.

I was not asking for specific route beta.

IS there another Leviathan Dome somewhere?

ANYONE climb this dome?

Anyone with experience in SANTA CANTALINA MTS?

Thanks! Cheers...

• 4 weeks later...