• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Ibex

Wanted BD Aermet Picks

Does anybody out there have one you want to sell?

New/used/etc...?

Send me an email

Shawn

sdhigbee@iastate.edu

I have a set up for bid. Retail price was $140 for the pair, so we'll start there.

One of them is a little bent, but still works fine.

What do you mean by "a little bent?" I've never bent a normal pick - How'd you bend an aermet pick?

Yeah, I don't know how it happened, but one of them just ain't straight...I guess they arn't as bomber as thet say. I mostly like them because they are very resistant to getting dull.

I was just kidding though, they aren't for sale. I would go on a hunt through all the gear shops "spare ice climbing parts bin." You may come across one buried somewhere.

Careful BD has recalled some of these in the past, besides the normal Stinger and Cobra picks are plenty strong, another reason why the probably stopped making them.

These things are like gold dust. The normal picks are super strong but the nice thing about the Aermets was that they we thinner and didn't blunt easily. Rumour has it BD are working on a replacement.

As for bending a normal pick a friend of mine lent his tools to another aquantience who proceeded to climb "funny ice" with them... you know the sort that most people call "granite". The moral of the tail if you swing hard enough you can bend pretty much anything. I saw one of the pick afterwards, had a 25 degree kink in it!

Yeah, low profile and dull resistant are two key features of the Aermet. I think I bent mine while camming it in a crack...not by swinging into rock, oh well. A friend of mine snapped the tip right off a stinger pick while soloing grade 3 ice shocked.gif" border="0

10 years on ice using only BD picks and I have not broken one yet. I am not saying it can't happen, but...and yes I am knocking on wood as I type! wink.gif" border="0

Dan E.