Hood conditions?

danhelmstadter

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivan

learn to ski/board for god's sakes. It'll just be that much faster you have a cold beer, or warm whiskey in your hand. I'd give you an old board to learn on but it would only come up to your waist.

JL

I've offered him a pair of BRAND NEW skis (albeit older BD skis that are like 210s or so) and someone else offered ramer bindings for free but apparently he would rather slog. The stuff sat in my basement for a couple years waiting for him to get it.

Ivan

learn to ski/board for god's sakes. It'll just be that much faster you have a cold beer, or warm whiskey in your hand. I'd give you an old board to learn on but it would only come up to your waist.

JL

I've offered him a pair of BRAND NEW skis (albeit older BD skis that are like 210s or so) and someone else offered ramer bindings for free but apparently he would rather slog. The stuff sat in my basement for a couple years waiting for him to get it.

what can i say? so many hobbies, so little time...

i was actually making some progress on the whole skiing thing - but then my daughter was born - and then a son - i've barely been able to keep my head above water w/ cragging and alpine - will learn how to ski when i'm 50 maybe?

still got them skis rob - still sitting in the same place in MY garage now :)

Update 3-22-08:

Our legion of 3 million (ok, our "team of 3", we picked 1 up in the lodge) went up the 'Hot gates' (Pearly) yesterday in awesome conditions. Our numbers seemed to count for nothing as King Leonidas and his band of 300 hurled what they could upon us in an atempt to prevent our passing (actually, it was another team of 3 above in the left chute, we got a little bloodied by an ice shower so don't look up). We prevailed in the end though.

Ivan's advice was right on as the duck feet & skins were used from the hut to just above Triangle moraine, boots sans 'pons before that, from the moraine on up we wore crampons. The gates themselves were pretty fun. We took the right chute. Yes, it had a short but easy and fun ice/mixed section at around 70-80 degrees. Can't say what left chute was like. It was relatively cold and windy on top. I suppose it goes without saying but lots of snow on the mountain this year. Plunge stepping in the fluff on the slog decent felt really good on my old knees n feet.

Advice stands for the short term I'd say, bring snowshoes or skins. At least one ice tool as a second (that's 2 ax's including a mountain ax) is a pretty good idea if you're taking this 'standard' route. We placed a screw as well for the very short mixed part.

3 pics from partner Jeff who took these..

th_Copyofp3220037.jpg

th_Copyofp3220038e.jpg

th_Copyofp3220039.jpg

Edited by dmuja

we also went up Saturday South Side and the weather was fantastic. no one was going up far the far left route due to avalanche concerns. Both left and right chutes of the gates looked really nasty and we didn't bring rope, 2nd axes, or screws. my friend tried to take a pic of the ice wall on the left chute but several guys were coming down.

Bike+Trip+Part+1+068.jpg

Edited by Todd E.

we also went up Saturday South Side and the weather was fantastic. no one was going up far the far left route due to avalanche concerns. Both left and right chutes of the gates looked really nasty and we didn't bring rope, 2nd axes, or screws. my friend tried to take a pic of the ice wall on the left chute but several guys were coming down.

Bike+Trip+Part+1+068.jpg

Looks like the guy in the red coat is contemplating the muttzamas route... is he the one who forgot the rope?

The guy in the red coat was contemplating the Mazama route, but alas, was picked up in the lodge of Timber line by dmuja. Getting those skis through the gates was not very fun, nor was coming down through them, but the ski from the top of the Hogsback was fantastic.

Hey Thomas (Maine-iac), good to "see" you here!

Jeff and I were so freakin jealous of youre ski descent, good job taken em all the way up. Sorry i was movin so slow that day, I didn't feel good (cough and all) til we got up to the Hog, then I was stoked. Anyway I'll email you and keep in touch ok?