Marking gear

morrison_ryan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some modeling paint from the hobby store. Cheaper than nail polish (unless your wife has a few she bought and now hates the color), and more colors to choose from. Haven't put it on yet, so i can't say if it works better or worse.

I stamp my initials into the gear with a letter die set.

Climbers (especially internet know it alls) say this is dangerous and will cause complete and utter gear failure..... but Black Diamond does it on their gear and any materials engineers say that the strength will not be changed what so ever.

Incidently..... if anyone comes across any gear stamped JT (Old original Friends and Tech Friends) give me a shout..... my rack was stolen last year.

I think it was the last issue of Rock & Ice (or was it Climbing??) that published a product review of a paint that was specially designed for marking gear. Apparently, they tested it by hammering on it, etc. and it doesn't come off, even after abuse. I believe Climb Max in Portland is selling it now. Sorry I can't recall the name of the product.

internet know it alls say this is dangerous

In an industrial setting, the letters are *rolled* on so that they press into the surface. The piece being worked is backed solidly so that all the energy goes into deforming the letters into the surface. A home die set applied with a hammer applies shock force, perhaps unevenly and without regard to the possible loadpath a fall might deliver. But you know that.

internet know it alls say this is dangerous

In an industrial setting, the letters are *rolled* on so that they press into the surface. The piece being worked is backed solidly so that all the energy goes into deforming the letters into the surface. A home die set applied with a hammer applies shock force, perhaps unevenly and without regard to the possible loadpath a fall might deliver. But you know that.

I agree. In Industry the hot press doesn't create micro fractures in the material. Any material scientist can tell you that micro fractures are the first sign of failure. By striking the material you are creating stress raisers (flaws that amplify an applied stress) in your carabiners. Those micro fractures will propogate over time causing the part to fail. Still, lots of things can cause these micro fractures (such as dropping or striking your carabiners). In the end, its just smarter to throw some electrical tape on them.

I like a combination of the electrical tape and paint. Tape doesn't work well on 'biners, in particular, or pitons. And of course you have to change colors every once in a while or your steady partners will change to adopt your color so they can scam your gear, right Hxxxxxx?

Blue nail polish :tup: Pink is for girls :P

Though I actually use Pink and/or Red to mark retired gear and/or bail biners (I always use a bail biner for my chalk bag).

Cams get marked on the inside lobes, hexes inside, biners on the spine over the raised/depressed letering (the nail polish stays in the grooves better), and nuts on the top underneath the wire.

I've gotten in the habit of every spring just taking a rainy day and doing a gear inventory, updating all gear marks, cleaning and lubing cams, retiring old runner etc. etc. It's a good way to get the climbing stoke on the for the season :tup:

Edited by selkirk