season length

Knowsam

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a picture from June last year in the Joffre Lakes area..we had to hike up to the lakes but good skiing from there. However that was the trip where the work to fun ratio finally tipped away from skiing

Tszil.JPG

Oops, forgot to add that this is more like 3-4 hours drive from Vancouver.

Edited by gertlush

Thank's all for your responses. I lived on the NS for years but never backcountry skied, now that I've moved away and have started to ski I learn that the backcountry sking is fantastic out there. One more question - how practical is a split board there for single day outings (or at least outings where the downhill is the goal)? In the rockies I've had to learn to ski (which I'm terrible at) b/c there are so many flat spots, but it doesn't matter b/c avy keeps us off anything steep - on the Coast you seem able to get on the steeper stuff so my ability to snowboard over ski might actually have an effect.

Sean

As a splitboarder myself I think that for many (not all) tours the board is very practical and a fun way to cruise the mountain.

I mean splits do have their down sides, they don't edge as well, so steep traverses can be difficult. Also, rolling terrain is kind of icky unless you are proficient at skiing in split mode.

One of the largest split manufacturers is based in Whistler, Prior, yep,yep,yep. So, it mustn't be all that bad :D

Edited by ultragrrl