A Walk on the Wild Side, 5.7+

catbirdseat

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Dolphin Route is in the Split Rock area, not far from Bird of Fire.

It's a flaring, strenuous, grovelly chimney that is rated 5.7 but will make you bemoan the day you laced up shoes, if you take it lightly.

An absolute J Tree classic for suffering and improbability!!!

If there has ever been a place that humbles you at 5.7, it's the monzonite playground of the great Mojave.

So I was walking around Cap Rock checking out routes and I see all this graffiti on a boulder. And there is a bunch of junk laying there too. It's all a tribute to someone named Gram Parsons. There was a date of 2007.

I don't have a clue who Gram Parsons was. I figured he was some kid who died soloing something.

I googled Parsons and it turns out he was a musician who overdosed on drugs in a motel in Joshua Tree in 1973. By all accounts he was a great musician who met his untimely demise at the age of 23. They stole his body from the airport and cremated him in the park.

I learned from Mountainzone.com that the Park Service has at least on one occasion removed the graffiti. I can understand the desire to honor a great musician, but defiling the stone in a National Park is not the way to go about it. I think a lot more people could be reached by putting your tributes on the Internet or on private property.

I don't have a clue who Gram Parsons was.

That's because you're clueless

I googled Parsons and it turns out he was a musician who overdosed on drugs in a motel in Joshua Tree in 1973. By all accounts he was a great musician who met his untimely demise at the age of 23.

Shit, by some accounts, he wrote either "Beggars Banquet" or "Let it Bleed". The Glimmer Twins screwed him

They stole his body from the airport and cremated him in the park.

"They"? It was Anita Pallenberg. Oh wait, you don't know who Anita Pallenberg is. She was shacked up with Keith Richards for years, turned him into the "Dark Prince".

You do know who Keith Richards is, right?

click here

By all accounts he was a great musician who met his untimely demise at the age of 23.

Oh yea, he was 26 dumbshit

Read this whole thread. In Dec. we were the next pty to climb after a gal fell on p1 and broke anckle. We wished her well then climbed the rt, retrieving her qd's to mail back.

So, CBS, you need to come up to Red Rocks and get some altitude.

So, you commin up to Red Rocks for the wk-end of April 5 and 6?

Edited by jhamaker

• 3 weeks later...

Whoooaa buddy, just because your best carpenter is now in California without you, don't get your panties all knotted up.

However, I would like to point out the fact that someone had to "Honor" a former climber who died at FC using a placard on the rock. Even more BullShiet than writing someone's name in chalk or paint if you ask me.

I had to qoute this for prosperity.

I don't have a clue who Gram Parsons was.

That's because you're clueless

I googled Parsons and it turns out he was a musician who overdosed on drugs in a motel in Joshua Tree in 1973. By all accounts he was a great musician who met his untimely demise at the age of 23.

Shit, by some accounts, he wrote either "Beggars Banquet" or "Let it Bleed". The Glimmer Twins screwed him

They stole his body from the airport and cremated him in the park.

"They"? It was Anita Pallenberg. Oh wait, you don't know who Anita Pallenberg is. She was shacked up with Keith Richards for years, turned him into the "Dark Prince".

You do know who Keith Richards is, right?

click here

By all accounts he was a great musician who met his untimely demise at the age of 23.

Oh yea, he was 26 dumbshit