Have new toddler but still love to climb

Cornfed

Does this sound like anyone else out there?

My wife used to be my primary climbing partner, but since our daughter was born (21 months) climbing is very low on her list. Climbing for me is still something I love to do, which has meant abandoning the girls at home.

I'd love to meet other like-minded climbing folks (I live in Seattle) or hear suggestions from others who have solved this problem. I think the best solution is for 2-3 families to make an outing of it so that there are many belay and care-giver hands to help watch out for each other.

The next question would be: what are some good crags that are kid (i.e. < 3 years old) friendly.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you make it a family thing? ive seen it happen with the guys quitting also, although not as often!

spend some time climbing on your own, with the guys, but get a kids full body harness and spend some time out with the kid on the rock. let the wife know that when you go as a family, it will be more about spending time with her and the kid. eventually she will (hopefully) come around. took about 10 years for mine!!!! but now i have 3 girls ages 8,9, and 13, who love to climb.

things change when you have kids, but they dont have to stop!!

good luck.

dave

Yeah. With kids, its all about the hot chocolate. My daughters love to get out now (10 & 12).

With non-climbing-bitten-wives, its all about the mattress and breakfast in bed.

I got lucky and found one who loves to get out in the mountains.

Numbers 1 and 2 didn't work out that way.