John Frieh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Windows Home Server:

SYMPTOM

When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses Windows Home Server, the files may become corrupted when you save them to the home server. Several people have reported issues after they have used the following programs to save files to their home servers:

• Windows Vista Photo Gallery

• Windows Live Photo Gallery

• Microsoft Office OneNote 2007

• Microsoft Office OneNote 2003

• Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

• Microsoft Money 2007

• SyncToy 2.0 Beta

Additionally, there have been customer reports of issues with Torrent applications, with Intuit Quicken, and with QuickBooks program files. Our support team is currently trying to reproduce these issues in our labs.

Make sure that you have a backup copy of any important program files before you store these files on a system that is running Windows Home Server.

CAUSE

This issue may occur because of a recently discovered problem with Windows Home Server shared folders and with certain programs.

STATUS

Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.

Until an update for Windows Home Server is available, we recommend that do not use the programs that are listed in this article to save or to edit program-specific files that are stored on a Windows Home Server-based system.

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

I'm a huge fan of the new Mac Pro's running Mac OS X server. You can also install it on older PowerMac's, but are more limited in storage. The Mac Pro's are nice because you can get up to 4Tb of memory making them a cheap(er) option to a full on server setup. I havn't taken the time to figure out all the deatils of OS X server yet but it's pretty straight forward to install and run, especially if you have some experience with macs.

Good luck!

Have one? What are you using and/or which one would you get? Likes? Dislikes?

TIA

what are you planning to use it for? as a file server, web server, quake server?

i have a homebuilt Pentium II dual 400MHz that has been sitting in the garage for years, with all my mp3 files, photographs, movies and my website. it has about 600GB of mirrored disk storage on it, and works like a champ.

i run a linux variant on that particular box. friends don't let friends run windows on a server. it is bad enough as a client os, and should be avoided even there.

depending on what you plan to do with your server, a couple of hundred bucks on ebay could get you all you need.

well, then pick up an oldish pc that has plenty of space for extra disks, add the most disk space you can afford, and call it done.

if you have the expertise, or know someone who does, run linux on that box. it makes fewer resource demands than windows, is more secure, plus it will likely never crash unless hardware fails. use a journaling filesystem and disk mirroring for extra safety.

and by all means, be sure to back up your data regularly.

If your looking for only a file server, Apple's new storage gadget might be an option. The Time Capsule can mount up on any machine and act as wireless data dump.

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

My concern with Time Capsule would be the lack of host OS. If something breaks, I see no way to troubleshoot the device.

Other than that, a old/cheap PC or Mac running Linux or OSX with lots of cheap drives mounted in there should do it.

The Mac Mini is a relatively cheap file server, and you can add a USB drive to it for more storage.

Any crappy old laptop can make do, again, with a USB drive and you can use whatever O/S is already on it - most will do some variant of file sharing (except NT, which is a total PITA for filesharing) or if you're adventurous, install a 'nix variant.

DO NOT use one of the WD book products - there have been reports of undocumented DRM problems if more than one PC attempts to access it.