Red Rock's dark side

Sherri

Question: what is wrong with this picture?

More_Rain.jpg

Answer: IT IS THE FIRST DAY OF MY CLIMBING TRIP!

Despite the "sunny, 68 degrees" which was forecast when we booked this trip, this is what we got:

wet rock.

Wet_Rock.jpg

And sleet. And snow. And thunder. And hail. I musta had some baaad climbing karma banked up. :eek:

Rainy_Red_Rock.jpg

In an apparently futile attempt to turn back the bad-karma tide, we sloshed around Calico Basin doing a little crag clean-up. (If I had a dollar for every trail-side poop bag we picked up, I'd be able afford to Billcoe's rack.)

Rainy_Day_Activities.jpg

Today we got a reprieve from Mother Nature's Wrath and found a couple dry routes to climb at Moderate Mecca, but tomorrow looks like more fire and brimstone coming our way, starting with 60mph wind gusts forecast for tonight...

:noway:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha!

I'm with Chirp here, you were so lucky to have shitty weather!

The Limestone ridge on the N. side of Gateway (sunny n steep) canyon is my wet weather ridge of choice.

One may link it up with Turtle Head for full value.

Side note: There is a technical rock climb up the very prow of Turtle Head, 5.9+ R gear to 4".

The best position in all of Red Rocks for sure.

3872.jpg.23af93faf545cebea936cb271916b50e.jpg

Edited by lancegranite

Ha!

I'm with Chirp here, you were so lucky to have shitty weather!

The Limestone ridge on the N. side of Gateway (sunny n steep) canyon is my wet weather ridge of choice.

I must admit that it is kinda cool to see the desert in this light, even though it's a long way to come for soggy scenery. Indeed, beautiful places are beautiful in any weather.

There is some strange ju-ju around though. Yesterday was bizarre. We chatted up a group of Canuck's who were climbing next to us at Moderate Mecca and insisted that they get off of that chossy crag and head over to do the much nicer 2-pitch Physical Graffiti. Later when we wandered over there to do something on it ourselves, we discovered that they botched the descent route and got themselves stranded up top. Ooops. :blush:

Soon afterward, the folks we were climbing next to at Cannibal Crag lost their dog, "Granite". It was dusk and they were needing to leave to head back to Idaho that night, so we assisted in the search, driving around the Calico Basin neighborhood looking for it.

Instead of finding "Granite," we were waved down by a French guy wandering the streets. He was lost and asked us for a lift to the visitor center to rendevous with his party; he had been hiking in the canyon since 10 that morning and got on the wrong side of the Calico Hills.

When it rains, it pours. So to speak. :whistle:

The Elwha has numerous dry routes temps in the 50's perhaps you shoulda stayed home ha-ha. Hope things improve for you and Kel down there, now go tackle some knarly chimney and get back to us will ya.

I figured you'd get a chuckle out of the irony of it all. ;)

I thrashed up a couple 5.7's yesterday that would have made you proud. :tup:

Soup_to_Nuts.jpg

Edited by Sherri

Ah, don't feel too bad about the weather.

One of the recent times when I flew down to vegas to climb in the sun, I was greeted with snow on the Strip.

The rangers very strongly advised against going up the turtle back hike, so we did a mellow one up in the White rock springs area I believe. We ran into a guy on XC skis going the other way.

RedRockJanuary.jpg

We bailed and went hiking in Zion instead.

You're right - it can definitely be beautiful to see the desert like that....

ZionJanuary.jpg

Edited by hemp22

Red Rocks to J Tree = 2 hours via Cima/Kelso/Amboy

Maybe is you are doing 100. I have gone that way. It was solid 3 to 4 hours.

I've gone that way a number of times from Vegas. It usually takes me almost three hours on the button from the city of Las Vegas to 29 Palms...a little longer to get into the park.

Jason