Woodworking help needed

rmncwrtr

Thanks!

The top came out beautiful. The mom, who majored in fine arts, ended up painting the banner with the "p" I'd corrected with wood filler with an ivory/antique white, then painted on a new tail in the right place. It looks great!

I'm touching up the remaining of the kids pictures and will stain tomorrow.

They sold me a wood sealer or conditioner. Something like that to put on before staining. Do I do that after pre-raising the grain?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without seeing the product or instructions, I'm guessing that the sealer they gave you is meant to prevent the grain-raising, so probably not.

Seems odd to seal something before you stain, though. Usually the idea of applying a stain is that it soaks into the wood to give color and depth to the grain, not sit on top like a coat of paint.

Double check the directions on the stain and sealer, just to make sure. If the stain says use on "bare" or "new" wood, I don't know that I'd want to apply other products under it.

Thanks!

They sold me a wood sealer or conditioner. Something like that to put on before staining. Do I do that after pre-raising the grain?

they probably sold you benite. it'll raise grain, and even out stain absorption. good point from sherri about the grain raise (depends on the wood yer using too).

benite the wood, then sand, then stain and seal. if its a soft wood, you might get a couple of grain raises, so check. and you probably don't want to do this if it's raining either, cuz rain on your workpiece could affect the finished quality.

the conditioner lets the wood take the stain much better. with pine expecially it comes out very blotchy and uneven if you dont use it. for a super mega silky smooth finish use a polyurethane or spar varnish (my favorite) for 2 coats with a quality brush or foam brush then sand with a 400 grit wet sand paper (spray bottle and wet sand paper) then another light coat and another wet sand. the only problem is if you sand too much it makes a white film that might show up on the dark burned area, but it should wipe off. if it dosent just a very light coat of poly at the very end will hide it. this is the finish i use on trim, except i use a sprayer and not a brush, and it turns out so un-belively smooth, yet still feels like wood and not a plastic feel of too thick of a poly finish.

hope this helps and this is of course just my method to the madness, and in no way should you or anyone take this as the only way.

Thanks, Thadsboner. The dad who constructed the frame has a shop with a sprayer so he's going to put the final coat on it. I'm so glad because what you just described sounds totally beyond my skill level.

I'm just psyched that Sherri told me she would have sanded out the mistake. It's helped me clean up some of the letters in the words beneath the kids pictures. Burning curved letters is really hard!

Thanks, Thadsboner. The dad who constructed the frame has a shop with a sprayer so he's going to put the final coat on it. I'm so glad because what you just described sounds totally beyond my skill level.

I'm just psyched that Sherri told me she would have sanded out the mistake. It's helped me clean up some of the letters in the words beneath the kids pictures. Burning curved letters is really hard!

Cool that it's all working out!

It is inspiring to see you working through all the various challenges of this project and caring so much about making it a work of art of which you can be proud. That's my girl! :kisss:

Aw, thanks Sherri! I'm taking a break and calling it a night. I was trying to get some of the paint that had gotten into the wood burned squares out with a razor blade. It was my first time ever using a razor blade and lets just say it worked, but there was blood. Lots and lots of blood. At least I didn't get any on the frame.

So far the count is two burns, two sliced fingertips with the burner knife pen and one cut finger. The things we do for our kiddos!

Okay, the can says Water-Based Pre-stain Wood Conditioner. Assure Color Uniformity of Water-Based Stains. For Use on All Types of Wood.

The frame is made of poplar.

wood conditioner tends to seal wood and the stain will not penetrate the wood as well. are you using miniwax? miniwax is lame home owner crap.

Okay, here it is. I made a couple mistakes with the staining, but quickly figured out what I did so didn't repeat it elsewhere. The back was easy since there was no painting. The front was not fun and I had to go back to do some paint touchups.

I deliver the frame to the guy who's going to but the finishing coats on it tomorrow. All that will be left after that is the mirror installation and hardware to hang it installation, neither of which I have to do!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I sure needed it. You all are great :kisss: Fingers crossed someone will want to buy it at the auction in two weeks! But I'm not going to worry about that now. It's time for a :brew:

IMG_5245.JPG

It's beee-oooot-iful! :moondance:

People better bring some fat checkbooks to that auction, is what I'm sayin'. This is fine art, from the heart(which is the best kind.)

Enjoy that celebration :brew: . You deserve it. :tup:

Edited by Sherri

:lmao:

Sobo, I was thinking the climbing equivalent to my woodworking undertaking would be attempting to climb Hood wearing Tevas, jeans and a sweatshirt, with no compass, map or food, and a yip-yap ankle biter dog with bows on her ears and a diamond studded collar as my climbing partner. In January.

I would have taken a pic of the blood, but hubby was out of town and the kids were totally freaked and grossed out by the amount that was there. A little scared, too. I didn't think it right to ask one to take a picture first when they thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, a self-portrait wasn't possible.

A little scared, too. I didn't think it right to ask one to take a picture first when they thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, a self-portrait wasn't possible.

You're welcome to use mine. :wave:

Chainsaw_gash.jpg

(chainsaw kicked back, went airborne, and flew into my shin while working on a log railing.)

Uh, Sherri, your post didn't come through. I got the next project part, but can't read the rest. Must be cosmic interference or some kind of weird Internet twilight zone thing going. Anyway, surely you know there won't be any next projects. I'm never touching that wood burner again. I'd blow it up but hubby won't let me since it was so expensive. I'm thinking I can probably sell it on ebay. It's a nice one. Dual pins with temperature control ;)

Uh, Sherri, your post didn't come through. I got the next project part, but can't read the rest. Must be cosmic interference or some kind of weird Internet twilight zone thing going. Anyway, surely you know there won't be any next projects. I'm never touching that wood burner again. I'd blow it up but hubby won't let me since it was so expensive. I'm thinking I can probably sell it on ebay. It's a nice one. Dual pins with temperature control ;)

Cosmic interference?....yeah, that must be it...ummm, exactly how many celebration drinks did you have last night, Missy?

Hey, that sounds like a pretty swish woodburner, by the way. Too bad you don't know any other woodworkers who could put it to good use. :wave: