Red Rocks Campground?

powderhound

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's National Forest land out by Potosi.

You can find this by driving up 160 past Black Velvet Canyon to the summit. There are a number of Forest Service Roads but they are not well marked. The better roads jut off to the left (south) toward Potosi. If you poke around up there you'll find a good spot to bivy, but I wouldn't leave anything there during the day.

Your other options are far away. There is camping at both Mount Charleston and at Lake Mead, but those places are a hell of a commute.

Jason

Can't afford the $10/night?

That campground sucks ass.

Nazi campground "hosts" patrolling the grounds in their golf carts trying to sell you punk firewood for $90/bundle. 85 mile an hour winds everyday. Water that tastes like it was stored in a tractor tire for the last couple years. Miles from anywhere.

Why, oh why can't they reopen the campground that used to be off the loop road? Before my time, but appaarently it was somewhere in the vicinity of the Pine Crk trailhead? It would be nice to camp in the park.

God that place sux.

The Old Campground was outside the loop road near the alternate Oak Creek/Mount Wilson access. There has never been a campground inside the loop.

No, the camping up near Mountain Pass is nowhere near Calico Basin. It is about five miles west (uphill) of the Black Velvet Access Road on Highway 160.

Jason

RR "hosts" suck some serious horse-^$%#*.

The Hosts at RR often work at the Eight Mile Campground at Leavenworth during the summer. Though it seems like they chill out after they leave RR.

Jason

i am not sure i agree with the chill out once they hit 8-mile comment. both places (RR and L'worth) are notoriously unfriendly to climbers that would rather avoid the campground scene anyway. I think particularly in L'worth with the management company that runs those cg.s ....extra $ for a 2nd car, bitchy hosts waking you up at 6 a.m. to get their $16, telling you to move because someone else rented the friggin site even though their is no tag, etc on the posts...yeah, i am not sure i agree about them mellowing out. they all could take some lessons from the 'hosts' at the pit in bishop...$2 a night/ 45 night limit and then they invite you up to the RV for a bonfire and poker....

What are best bets for a cheap hotel that is not too scummy or scary?

I stayed at Arizona Charlie's on Decatur (just off Charleston, well located for climbers) for $44/night two weeks ago. This was mid-week, I think generally the prices go waaay up on the weekend at all hotels I know of.

I've stayed at Wild Wild West for $35/night a few years ago. I wouldn't stay there again, room smelled and was dirty.

Bonnie Springs is right at redrocks, I haven't stayed there only gotten drunk on one windy/sprinkly night and made it back to the regular BLM campground. Waitress gave us several rounds for free. Plus she entertained us by putting a blinking keychain down her white Skirt! Next time I am down, I will just pony up and stay at Bonnie Springs with redrocks right out the back door.

http://www.bonniesprings.com/motel.html

• 3 weeks later...

I stayed in a gravel pit campground in the early 90's that I thikn is now closed. It was way better than the current BLM site, but I can understand why they can't keep the dirtbag lot open. Too bad. I pretty much don't go to RR because I don't feel like dealing with the issue.

To me, it's funny how (generalizations here) climbers incorporate into their "brand" an element dirtbagdom: living in your van off a food bank bagel is THE SHIT! And this comes in such direct conflict with "The Man's Plan". Federal workerd are really between a rock and a hard place when it comes to recreation management (yeah, they got themselves there but that's the agency as a whole, not the employees.) It seems like of all the user groups I'm part of (hikers, mtb's, climbing, conservationists, etc...), I hear the most whining about the rudeness of campground hosts from the climbers. And it's no wonder host can be testy: climbers are dicks.

I stayed in a gravel pit campground in the early 90's that I thikn is now closed. It was way better than the current BLM site, but I can understand why they can't keep the dirtbag lot open. Too bad. I pretty much don't go to RR because I don't feel like dealing with the issue.

To me, it's funny how (generalizations here) climbers incorporate into their "brand" an element dirtbagdom: living in your van off a food bank bagel is THE SHIT! And this comes in such direct conflict with "The Man's Plan". Federal workerd are really between a rock and a hard place when it comes to recreation management (yeah, they got themselves there but that's the agency as a whole, not the employees.) It seems like of all the user groups I'm part of (hikers, mtb's, climbing, conservationists, etc...), I hear the most whining about the rudeness of campground hosts from the climbers. And it's no wonder host can be testy: climbers are dicks.

Fuck you

That post barely made sense. Aside from its contradicting statements....

What are best bets for a cheap hotel that is not too scummy or scary?

I stayed at Arizona Charlie's on Decatur (just off Charleston, well located for climbers) for $44/night two weeks ago. This was mid-week, I think generally the prices go waaay up on the weekend at all hotels I know of.

I also thought Arizona Charlie's on Decatur was a good deal. Clean room with fridge, reasonable rates(usually). Book directly through their website to avoid the travel-site fees/markups. Right now the rates are around $55 during the week, while most of the other "west of strip" joints are $100+.