Ethical Question?

selkirk

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it always so clear-cut? If you remove the photo, you are censoring your own expression. If you keep the photo, you are compromising someone's privacy.

Certainly the safest route for everyone is to obtain permission, and certainly if there is any possibility of commercial use / licensing in the future, to obtain a written release.

FW, we appear to have a composite stalker. Tvash snapped the photo, but it was Ivan's stream of consciousness Beowulf recitation and free associospeak that tweaked someone's creep detector. Simon, that you freely describe them as "weirdos" says a little more about you than it does about them, given that both individuals are well known around here.

I think a nice little private note, something along the lines of "Tvash, my girlfriend is a little weirded out having her picture posted on the net, could you take it down?" would have gotten it done without the public foofraw, but this has been much more diverting for the cubicle monkeys that make up our core user group. Being as how this is the internet, it's best to not take things personally as a first reaction. If Glassgowkiss calls you a clownpuncher and tells you to fuck off, well that pretty much puts you on par with everyone else around here. Look on the bright side, you've more than doubled your post count with this micro fiasco.

Is it always so clear-cut? If you remove the photo, you are censoring your own expression. If you keep the photo, you are compromising someone's privacy.

Certainly the safest route for everyone is to obtain permission, and certainly if there is any possibility of commercial use / licensing in the future, to obtain a written release.

censoring your own expression? Aren't you the whiny little fuck that complained to the mods a few years back when people were expressing their opinions of YOU?? :lmao:

FW, we appear to have a composite stalker. Tvash snapped the photo, but it was Ivan's stream of consciousness Beowulf recitation and free associospeak that tweaked someone's creep detector. Simon, that you freely describe them as "weirdos" says a little more about you than it does about them, given that both individuals are well known around here.

I think a nice little private note, something along the lines of "Tvash, my girlfriend is a little weirded out having her picture posted on the net, could you take it down?" would have gotten it done without the public foofraw, but this has been much more diverting for the cubicle monkeys that make up our core user group. Being as how this is the internet, it's best to not take things personally as a first reaction. If Glassgowkiss calls you a clownpuncher and tells you to fuck off, well that pretty much puts you on par with everyone else around here. Look on the bright side, you've more than doubled your post count with this micro fiasco.

who the hell walks around climbing areas with a camera and snaps close-ups of strangers? and then posts them on an internet forum? sounds to me about one step away from upskirt photography.

Yes, I think my statement is clearcut. I said I didn't know about "ethically", but basically the definition of being a dick is putting your needs/desires above others, with little or no consideration.

Ok, that sounds reasonable to me. In this case, the subject has likely more to lose than the poster/viewers have to gain.

who the hell walks around climbing areas with a camera and snaps close-ups of strangers? and then posts them on an internet forum? sounds to me about one step away from an upskirt photography.

Van Driesen wants you to find your center...

23290715.jpg

I'm not following you. We are not talking about photo captions. But I don't think the test is whether some mythical prudent person would have said whatever it was to her face.

I think he is talking about the 500 or so photo caption threds we have on this site. all photos taken in public and likely posted to this site with out anyones permission and then we proceed to make fun of the photo.

you always say what i mean so much better than i do :moondance: