TRADE

Dan_Larson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got for ya dano.

i took a whipper on it, but it is a 37m 7mm blue water ice floss. still good stuff though. i dont like glacier routes so unless there is rock and i probably dont want to fall on it again, so dare ya go.

is yours a dry rope??? and what is the manufactor??? none of that millet crap.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

I have a 9.4 mm, 60 meter dry rope that, once the spot that the rock hit is cut out, will make an excellent glacier rope. And hey, this rope has what you lack and need..experience. Its been on first ascents of waterfalls, on long alpine rock routes and up mixed routes in Alaska. Sure your partners will look at it and ask how old it is but you will be able to truthfully answer that you just got it. wink.gif" border="0

my $0.02

no dis to erik, but 7mm IMO suck for glaciers unless you really like using prusiks for "extraction action". Most ascenders won't grab them. Tiblocs are rated from 10mm to 12mm and Ropeman's are rated from 9 to 11mm. The Petzl ascenders are good from 8mm to 13mm, these are the only ones I personally have used.

my advice Dan.... get an 8.5 x 50

Does anyone take ascenders/ropeman on glaciated climbs? Seems like a lot of weight to be hauling when prussiks work just fine. I wouldn't use a tibloc unless I was desperate. I'll stick with prusskis thank you very much.

I don't even wanna know what you use for "snow seal" Larson.

I've used 7mm-11mm for glacier travel. The smaller the diameter the better in my opinion.

I agree with rbw1966. I almost never carry any ascenders, except prusik line. They work just fine are light weight and simple.

I also just carry a petzl pulley wheel on an oval biner. They rock and weigh nothing...cheap too.

tiblocs have some applications, but again you just don't need it on a glacier. Why carry it if you don't need it? Especially true when you have two rope teams. Just power them out.

rbw1966,

Carrying ascenders - One part of my answer would depend on which route you are taking. If you are going up the Hogsback's or the Leuthold on Hood, for me at least I see no real need. If I am crossing the upper Nisqually or the Carbon, yes.Have you ever pulled 200+ pounds of climber out of a crevasse with prusiks? Have you every tried to work prusiks in the dead of winter with gloves or mittens on? I have more than once and personnaly choose to never do it again, that is do the job with prusiks.To me it is part of the speed/safety issue. The last time I was involved in such an "extraction" my buddy, dangling on the other end was useless due to a nice gash in his forearm recieved from the pick of his axe as he fell. He ended up loosing a fair amount of blood. The weather sucked and freezing prusik knots would definatly taken us much longer to pull his sorry ass out.No doubt they (ascenders) are heavy, the set of Petzl's I have with 6mm stirrups weight .4 lbs, a heefty sum. Not to promote Petzl but the Tibloc weight 39 grams, less than most caribiners. Have you ever carried more carabiners on a climb than you really needed?Even with the heavier ascenders I can still keep my total pack weight under 40 lbs.

wdietsch--I agree with you. I carried ascenders on Denali, but as you pointed out, for most applications in the Cascades the ascenders are a bit more than needed. You can tout the weight advatages of tiblocs all you want--they've been shown to be pretty damaging to the sheath of a rope if you are not extremely careful.

And yeah, I have tried working prussiks with gloves on in the dead of winter. So far I've never had to pull a partner out of a crevasse except in practice conditions. I'm hoping I never have to.

You (in the general sense, not you specifically) weigh your decisions and make the choices that work best for you. I try to carry stuff that has more than one application.

Good points to consider for sure!

Rob

Are you sure you mean the Reverso? I am about 99.9 % positive that they do not include any mention of ascending a rope with a Reverso in the instruction manual that it comes with, or in the catolog, or on their web site. In theory it woulsd hold your weight if you had it rigged to your harness like you would rig it to a fixed belay station....same as a gri-gri would. But this sounds awkward and sketchy at best, plus it would not promote any upward movement without the use of a second ascending device.

On the other hand, the manual for the new Pro-traction device made by petzl states that it can be used for ascending a fixed rope. But you'd never carry one on a glaicer.

Hope that helps.

BTW-

Wdeitch, look at this web page: http://petzl.devcross.com/petzl/publicFamille?id=BLOQ#TIBLOCTiblocks are recomended for use from 8mm-11mm not 10mm-12mm. Don't bullshit if you don't know what you are talking about...

Tiblocks kick ass, and work fine on an BW Ice Floss rope if you use a FAT locking biner. The 7.8 37m is the way to go. Tiblocks are twice as fast as screwing around with prusiks, and don't require that you tend to them with every hoist. Light, small, easy to use...what else do you want? Stick to your old prusik if you wish, but don't dis the Tiblock.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

i played around with my new reverso last night. i think i figured out the "emergency ascender" function. it is basically the same as the auto-lock configuration, with the biner through the smaller loop clipped to the load. it will not work well if the down end of the rope is under a lot of tension, because there is too much friction to pull it up. it might work for prussiking out of a crevasse if you use it for the leg loop, although if you take your pack off and clip it to the rope loop below you it might be too much tension. needs further experimentation. the reverso-as-ascender would seem to work very nicely for belaying yourself up u fixed line, such as when retrieving a snagged rappel line. it might even have some utility in a z-pully system.