Castro Stepping Down

mattp

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked hearing Bush say this morning that he hopes they have fair elections. If he'd have felt the same about his own election I bet we wouldn't be bogged down in Iraq right now.

Te guys who think Castro was the biggest criminal since Hitler and Stalin, however, will probably see no contradiction in GW's remarks.

well i would like to visit cuba, so hopefully this is a step in the direction towards making that easier (i know several people who have visited via indirect travel, and it looks like a beautiful place).

i'd like to legally buy cuban smokes. :-)

it's kind of funny how we hold grudges for a 45+-years-gone-by bloody nose, but I guess that's the way it is. once that bastard kicks the bucket, i'm sure we'll move towards normal relations again.

Damn, KK. You didn't take my bait and you wrote something I agree with. What's wrong with you?

Hey Hemingway loved Cuba, that's good enough for me!

I am sure there is a lot to love about Cuba, there is not an ugly place on the earth that was made by God, but the real ugly places are all man made.

I take that back, cats can be ugly.

Yeah, well I almost did. I will follow KK’s lead and not bite on the election remarks;

Would you argue that the recent problems with elections, that overwhelmingly occurred at the behest of Republicans, has NOT undermined faith in the fairness of the American electoral process? Lets start a new thread so you can make your point. I gotta get some work done today, but I can spare a few minutes on that.

Yeah, well I almost did. I will follow KK’s lead and not bite on the election remarks;

Would you argue that the recent problems with elections, that overwhelmingly occurred at the behest of Republicans, has NOT undermined faith in the fairness of the American electoral process? Lets start a new thread so you can make your point. I gotta get some work done today, but I can spare a few minutes on that.

Nope. the law of the land was carried out. the Republicans won, and democrates lost. End of story, end of thread. In November you will get another chance.

OK then. Let's see what happens if the Dems take power for several years. IF they redraw the voting districts to favor their reelection, if the newest government contractor for voting machines says they are going to deliver votes to the Dems and it looks as if they may in fact actually do so, and if the dems interfere with access to the polls in Republican districts you are not going to complain. Gerrymandering, lying about the capability to make election machines that produce a receipt, providing reduced services for voters in specific districts is all legal, right?

I'm not saying the Democrats are necessarily more honest than the Republicans, but it seems clear that the R's took advantage of power and access to the process. It DOES cause cynicism - even among voters who may share your political views on other topics.

Has anybody really talked much about this? I know that gerrymandering is as old as American Pie, but doesn't it just plain stink?

The sitting politicians would never support it but might it otherwise be feasible to redraw the maps based on some modern census data or something at least arguably apolitical like market-area analysis, or simple geometry?

No Mattp - gerymandering is clearly the result of the REPUBLICANS being in the majority in the US House and Senate.

:)

No time for reading comprehension? I clearly did NOT make such an argument. What I said was that the Republicans have been more successful LATELY but I suffer no illusion that the Democrats would not do the same if they had the same access.

No Mattp - gerymandering is clearly the result of the REPUBLICANS being in the majority in the US House and Senate.

:)

There is a very old Chinese saying that goes, “Crows are black all around the world”. Translation is all politics stinks.

It is not a new, and it is not unique to republicans.