Identifying Cascade peaks from Seattle area

Jonathan

Hi,

Is there a resource out there that identifies Cascade peaks visible from, say, the eastern slope of Capitol Hill?

I can ID Baker, Pilchuck, Sloan, Glacier, Phelps and the peaks of the S. Fork Snoqualmie drainage, et al. I must confess, however, that even after 25 years of traipsing about the Cascades some of those front range lumps are still mysteries to me.

Thanks!

Jonathan Pryce

Seattle, Wash.

The above panorama was taken from here on the northeast side of Queen Anne Hill in Seattle.

Obviously, many of the peaks on the above panorama are not officially named on the map.

A chap in Britain named Jonathan de Ferranti created a software that reads topo data to create the same kind of scene but not in a photo format (www.viewfinderpanoramas.org).

His results only take into account officially named summits on the map.

Click here for his results for the same location as where I took my photos

Flew into SEA from ORD yesterday, window seat and unlimited vis.

Fricking unbelieveable!!!!!

The flight from SEA to Wenachee was even better, flying over the I-90 corridor then down Ingalls creek, past the Enchantments at around 10,500 feet by my guess.

NOTE: to the two guys on top of Dragontail, one wearing blue coat, red hat, the other wearing red coat, white helmet.

Thanks for the friendly wave, that was me waving back.

It looked like your shoelace was untied...

Flew into SEA from ORD yesterday, window seat and unlimited vis.

Fricking unbelieveable!!!!!

The flight from SEA to Wenachee was even better, flying over the I-90 corridor then down Ingalls creek, past the Enchantments at around 10,500 feet by my guess.

Flew from SEA to DEN today. We flew right down Ingalls Crk as well and Stuart and the Enchantments were gorgeous. Prusik Pk was a little less impressive from ~10k' than from the base of the south face.

I love flying.

Sweet pics!

I was flyig back from a fire in PA several years ago.

"A River Runs Through It" was my book for the plane. Just as I finished the story about Blodgett Canyoon (the author fought a fire in there in the 40's), I looked out the window and we were flying over Blodget Canyon.

Great detail Lance!

On a flight down to San Diego I once lucked out by getting a commercial pilot with the soul of a tour guide. It was a gorgeous clear day with virtually no haze, and as we flew directly over Yosemite he banked the plane just so we could look out the windows and straight down into the valley. He also took pains to point out all the volcanoes and took a small detour over Lake Tahoe.

Aerial identification is big fun. I've spotted my house and barn in Tenino while on a southern approach to SeaTac, and had a number of great runs through the Cascades.

I think a tour with Mr. Scurlock would easily trump all that though...

• 10 years later...

Hoping this feed isn't from too long ago to be archived, but was wondering if anyone could relink the panoramas shared above? I can't view them unfortunately, or find anything on Klenke's page.

I am working on an illustration of all of the peaks and would like to label them if possible, so if anyone has other resources to share that would be greatly appreciated! Will gladly share the poster once finished :)