[TR] Dragontail - Gerber-Sink North Face 2/17/2008

scottgg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest of the fin is so uniform and planar in this section, and that one feature juts out so prominently.....

Any of you geo-geeks care to comment on it's formation?

Same block (behind Lucie and above Eric) in all three pictures. It is actually part of the the ridge crest. Although it isn't very easy to get off the ridge behind it. But it is an awesome traverse on the single horiziontal crack that goes right from the block and finally hits the ridge crest.

Just read Eric's description of the Fin. I have done it a few times and never the way Eric describes it. I traverse on the 4th class ledges about half way across to a large block just above the ledge. I then climb the obvious cracks pretty much straight up to the right corner of the block under discussion on the ridge crest. It is a bit mossy but all on really fun 5.8/5.9 face cracks. It is easy in rock shoes. I generally change out of my sneakers and first rope up starting the Fin if I'n not short roping. The Fin is well protected with minimal gear. A range of TCUs and small Friends work well as would hexs and stoppers. I highly recommend the Fin finish to any of the N Face routes.

Hard to beat 2000" of easy climbing in sneakers with a few pitches at the end left for a pair of Mythos and an early lunch on top :)

IMG_0419W.jpg

IMG_0430W.jpg

"A moderate upper ridge should approach the coast

Thursday morning and slowly move across western Washington

Thursday afternoon through early Friday. This should produce

clearing skies, gradually rising freezing levels, and

decreasing and relatively light winds."

Fine then. BBR this summer. Early season.

Easy there Bug, I'm sure there will be some upper level ridge moving in on a Thursday in June. :laf:

LOL.

Not to worry. That is for other motivated peeps.

I do have this weekend free for alpine fun though.

• 7 years later...