Best Place to Live?

crispy

Hey all,

I couldn't find a search function, so apologies if this is redundant.

So, I've caught the alpine bug and am looking to relocate from NYC. Any recommendations on the best places to live that have easy access to peaks and aren't tiny towns? My wife is a non-climber and doesn't want "to be stuck in a cabin on the side of some mountain." Can't imagine why not...

Hospitals, colleges, and ease of access to an airport will set my girl's heart at ease.

Thanks in advance.

chris

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that "City" is a relative term. The combined populations of Washington, Idaho, and Oregon, Wyoming, and Montana are probably close to that of NYC.

That said Seattle, Portland, and Boise all kick ass :tup:, and if you can deal with the weak beer and religion I here Salt Lake isn't bad.

Everything else is quite a bit smaller than those 3.

Keep in mind that "City" is a relative term. The combined populations of Washington, Idaho, and Oregon, Wyoming, and Montana are probably close to that of NYC.

That said Seattle, Portland, and Boise all kick ass :tup:, and if you can deal with the weak beer and religion I here Salt Lake isn't bad.

Everything else is quite a bit smaller than those 3.

Yeah, we're definitely not looking for another NYC. Great food, but too many daily pains in the ass. Plus, neither one of us is from here originally.

Mostly just looking for good sized towns with the usual amenities that aren't simply strip malls and subdivisions mini-sprawls. Something with a good feel, you know?

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I'm searching around on my own but thought I'd come straight to the source, too.

I have the best of towns to play in; Boise and McCall. Boise has all the newbie's required attributes. Jobs, a good quick airport, nearby fun, manageable housing (the N end is the best), and an avid community of outdoor folks. McCall is smaller, with tons more snow and mountain weather generally, plus a great lake, rivers, climbing and skiing right out the door. In my case, literally out the door. Though housing prices have gotten out of hand up there in the last few years. Just stay away from Tamarack Resort. Bad Karma.