how far do you go for your pet?

minx

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have spent 2000.oo on our Rott, Max for his TPLO surgery. It was well worth it. I believe insurance is a VERY good option if you have a healthy pet.

Max was already gimp when we got him but our lab is under mid range coverage and it helps out nicely with regular checkups and even helps pay for flea drops

Hugs, Minx.

We have a cat, Spirit, with Hyper-T. The I-130 treatment in April was $975. Add in all the vet visits, testing before hand and after and it was close to if not over $2K. She has cost us money before (about $1500) with MRI, xrays and stuff when she got sick five years ago.

I'd do it all over again. I probably will sooner rather than later. Her brother has the same problem. I'm trying to save enough money so he can have the same treatment this year. Hubby said no to it last year.

Good luck!

As I haven't been faced with the reality of a multi-thousand-dollar operation for my dog, it's a hypothetical to which I can't actually respond.

I prepare all of his meals from grocery store items. Approximately once every two months, I cook a big vat of a grain and vegetable mixture, spoon portions (patties) onto a large cookie sheet in layers separated by freezer paper, freeze it, then bag the portions in gallon Ziplocks. I do the same with low-cost meat. Each of his meals are comprised of a patty of both. Although eleven-years-old, he's the healthiest, non-obese, dog around.

About ten years ago, when my Black Lab, Ruby, was at the end of her days, she was riddled with chronic health problems including a large tumor on her hip, unable to rise to amble painfully anymore. She no longer had an appetite for food. The vet confirmed what already I knew: the time had come to put her down. As I've always taken care of this with all of my family's pets, I knew a pistol was soon to become a primary player. I went to the vet and bought a syringe of surgical anesthetic.

I carried Ruby out on the property to a beautiful spot near our pet cemetery where boulders, huge Ponderosas, and late Fall colored leaves allowed beauty to be easily known. Laying Ruby down and taking a seat on the ground next to her, I quietly sat there, petting her, her head resting relaxed on my leg, my repeated words she had known all her life, "you're a good girl" (Dog for "I love you"), spoken softly and slowly lulled her to near sleep. It was a very peaceful and serene moment.

Gently, I administered the anesthetic with Ruby barely acknowledging the needle - she didn't move, but simply opened her eyes, looking at me. I went back to petting and vocally reassuring her, looking into those warm brown eyes for my own reassurance and for evidence of anesthesia. Slowly, her eyes still looking at me, her Alpha, the drug took its effect, her eyes closed, her body limp. I waited, justifying the pause in the schedule of action by telling myself I wanted to be sure she was completely "out", but I knew the pause, just like the administration of the surgical drug, was really an attempt to ease my own discomfort.

The late day quiet stillness of the forested canyons was broken by the sharp bark of a .357 magnum. No doubt, someone, a mile away, wondered if the shooter had hit their target. Could the wonderer have guessed he or she had heard the launch of a magic bullet that hit, pinpoint, two targets? A bullet that both punctuated the end of a noble and loving companion's life...

and, simultaneously, ripped a painful wound in another's heart.

A few months ago our cat fell off of our roof, which is probably ~40 feet high, and dislocated his elbow. We took him to the vet, where they reset the elbow for ~$800.

I asked the vet if it was okay to let him out of the carrier, and he said "Sure - just maybe put him in a small area, like a bathroom, where he won't be tempted to run around a lot."

I leave him in the bathroom with a towel to lay on and head back to work for a bit, and figure he'll be fine since my wife will be back in half an hour. I get back about an hour later, and my wife is holding the cat in her lap in the kitchen. His fur is matted, his eyes are narrowed, and he just doesn't look right. I first think he may have had a seizure or something, but what actually happened is he wigged out in a massive way trying to get his cast off. He ripped all of his back claws off, tracked the resulting blood all over the bathroom (like as in streaks up to 3 feet high on the walls, and the smell of blood was palpable before you even got into the room), and managed to re-dislocate his elbow in the process.

We were pondering what to do, since this is an incredibly cantankerous cat that goes berserk if there's anything on his body that he doesn't want there. He once managed to shuck the cone-thingy and rip out a stitched-in catheter with his teeth. We concluded that even if we spent the two-grand on the surgery, the likelihood that he'd tolerate the cast on his leg for long enough for things to heal was nil, and we decided we'd see how he did without the operation. If it looked as though he was in pain or poor spirits, we'd reconsider.

He's slighyly gimpy, but gets around fine, doesn't seem to be in any pain can still use the leg to walk, run, and bat things around with. We just don't let him out on the roof anymore. If it was a choice between spending the $2K or putting him down, we'd have spent the money.

interesting, but as someone who grew up on a farm (and saw the some of our "pets" put down so we could eat them) I think you end up with a different perspective...but then perhaps it was an economical one was well. back then we were a big family that needed the 5 pound blocks of government cheese to get by, so no doubt $10 would have been more than my parents would have spent to keep a pet.

there were a few animals that i can remeber being glad to see them go...the bull that used to chase us around the 40 acre field that my dad had to shoot 5-6 times point blank with escalating calibers of guns (with a few rounds in his head he managed to knock my dad on his ass right in front of us). my dad went back into the house to get the .44.

then there was the sow we had that ate all her young and would chase us around the moment we got in the pen. she was much more frightening than that bull. i was glad to see her go.

but most of our animals had names (i can't remember what we called the two above), even some that we were raising to eat. i realize that these are different than "companion animals", but it still makes me think differently about animals and how much we would spend. now that i'm cityfolk, i guess i would spend a bit on our cat, but at the same time she is getting old and i would weight that as well. no sense in prolonging the life of a critter that would be prolonging its suffering.

I was able to work out payments with my vet. If the drug company, which took partial/temporary responsibility for her condition hadnt paid a portion, Im not sure what I could have done. The total cost Im sure has exceeded a couple thousand, including supplies for ongoing fluid therapy, prescription food, various other food expenses, and excessive litter costs.

Has it been worth it? Absolutely!!!!! Though she has taken over my life (almost literally)I dont regret one decision or penny paid. It was just one year ago this weekend I was told her condition was grave and she should be put to sleep. I brought her home to say goodbye and...well...after an active morning of eating, playing, and grooming, she is now peacefully laying next to me with those cute squinty eyes. :)

I will say there comes a time to put an end to the expenses and ridiculous amount of visits to the vet. That is where we are at right now. Latte is old and enough is enough. I do what I can to maintain her quality of life at a good level. Once it starts slipping too much it is time to say goodbye.

What is exactly wrong? Make sure you fully look into those insurance plans. Ive heard some bad things about them. Ive heard suggestions of putting aside a certain amount (10-25 bucks) a month during the animals life,so when something happens you have some change to put forth. If I had done that for latte I would have saved 1700-4500+ bucks by the time she needed it.

Good luck!

I have had a few pets over the years. but the one who meant the most to me was Brier. He was a white and orange striped kitty. from the moment i picked him out he was my cat. he slept in my hair on my pillow. when i was preggers he napped with me every day. he was my heart and the best cat ever period. he died on april 15th 2003. My ex had to take him to the vet to put him down. there was no way i could do it. but i knew it was the right thing to do. we had spent about 500$ trying medication and stuff and the next step was surgery and he just didn't seem to want it. He was 15, and he seemed to be saying he was ready to be done. I guess what i am trying to say is that if your animal is fighting to stay with you than it is it worth it. but they know far better than we do when they are ready to be done if we pay attention. Hidden somewhere i have this thing the vet sent me after Brier was put down. it has his little paw prints in it. Every time i come across is i am a total mess. I still miss him.

*hugs* I hope you kitty is okay minx.

well i'm glad that i'm not the only one throwing large chunks of $$$$ at the problem

carolyn, he's a diabetic cat that seems to be insulin resistant. but presenting in an odd way. he's at the kitty ICU right now. he was severely dehydrated and they can't get his sugar levels under control yet. trying to figure out how much to spend on diagnosing why he's insuline resistant and how long he can stay at kitty ICU. :(

mikester, so sorry to hear of your loss. :cry:

meow meow meow meow meow meow

meow meow

meow meow

little bag a bones been out all night

can you hear him scratchin' at the screen door

can you hear him scratchin' at the screen door

he needs some pettin' and lovin' on his head

he needs some pettin' and lovin' on his rain soaked hide

he's circlin' around my ankle

he's circlin' around my ankle

he needs some pettin' and lovin' on his hide

hey kitty won't you come inside

kitty at my foot and i wanna touch it

kitty at my foot and i want to touch it

meow meow meow meow meow meow

meow meow

meow meow

a pussy purrin' and lookin' so satisfied

a pussy purrin' and lookin' so satisfied

lost in his little yellow round eye

lost in his yellow round eye

pussy purrin' and lookin' so satisfied

kitty rear up and scratch me through my jeans

kitty rear up and scratch me through my jeans

fuck you kitty you're gonna to spend the night

fuck you kitty you're gonna to spend the night

fuck you kitty you're gonna to spend the night outside

touch it i want to touch it

i wanna touch it i wanna touch it

i wanna touch it wanna touch it

i wanna touch it

kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty touch it

We just lost our 15 year old lab on Valentines day. It was the worst day we've ever had. Still hard to even talk about it. If we get another dog, we're getting vet. insurance. I'll pay what ever I have to for my pals. No question.

I am sorry for your loss Mike. We put down our yellow lab years ago and I still think back on what I could have done differently. She suffered from severe seizures. Tried everything and poor girl just wasnt meant to have a long life. I think about her all the time. My heart is with you.

As I haven't been faced with the reality of a multi-thousand-dollar operation for my dog, it's a hypothetical to which I can't actually respond.

I prepare all of his meals from grocery store items. Approximately once every two months, I cook a big vat of a grain and vegetable mixture, spoon portions (patties) onto a large cookie sheet in layers separated by freezer paper, freeze it, then bag the portions in gallon Ziplocks. I do the same with low-cost meat. Each of his meals are comprised of a patty of both. Although eleven-years-old, he's the healthiest, non-obese, dog around.

About ten years ago, when my Black Lab, Ruby, was at the end of her days, she was riddled with chronic health problems including a large tumor on her hip, unable to rise to amble painfully anymore. She no longer had an appetite for food. The vet confirmed what already I knew: the time had come to put her down. As I've always taken care of this with all of my family's pets, I knew a pistol was soon to become a primary player. I went to the vet and bought a syringe of surgical anesthetic.

I carried Ruby out on the property to a beautiful spot near our pet cemetery where boulders, huge Ponderosas, and late Fall colored leaves allowed beauty to be easily known. Laying Ruby down and taking a seat on the ground next to her, I quietly sat there, petting her, her head resting relaxed on my leg, my repeated words she had known all her life, "you're a good girl" (Dog for "I love you"), spoken softly and slowly lulled her to near sleep. It was a very peaceful and serene moment.

Gently, I administered the anesthetic with Ruby barely acknowledging the needle - she didn't move, but simply opened her eyes, looking at me. I went back to petting and vocally reassuring her, looking into those warm brown eyes for my own reassurance and for evidence of anesthesia. Slowly, her eyes still looking at me, her Alpha, the drug took its effect, her eyes closed, her body limp. I waited, justifying the pause in the schedule of action by telling myself I wanted to be sure she was completely "out", but I knew the pause, just like the administration of the surgical drug, was really an attempt to ease my own discomfort.

The late day quiet stillness of the forested canyons was broken by the sharp bark of a .357 magnum. No doubt, someone, a mile away, wondered if the shooter had hit their target. Could the wonderer have guessed he or she had heard the launch of a magic bullet that hit, pinpoint, two targets? A bullet that both punctuated the end of a noble and loving companion's life...

and, simultaneously, ripped a painful wound in another's heart.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Damn, DeC, you're makin' it hard to get my spray-fix over here...can't see a thing through all these tears. :( That was an incredibly powerful account of your journey with Ruby. No way I couldn't have pulled that trigger to let her make that final step; she is lucky she had someone as strong as you to help her across.

Thanks to you, Mikester, and to all, for sharing. It's good to catch a glimpse of how each of us steps up to the plate when it comes to being there for our critters.

Our "special needs" lab mix has nearly sent us to the poorhouse with two TPLO surgeries, severe separation anxiety fallout, among other issues, but she's ours to care for so we do what we need to do. They deserve no less than we can give, whatever that may be.

Best wishes to you with your little one, Minx. Not that it pays the bills, but judging from the response in this thread it looks like you're in good company.

:kisss:

assuming that the money won't cause you to lose your home or anything crazy like that, how much would you spend on your pet?

Minx,

Questions you might ask yourself:

1) What does the vet say is wrong with the pet and what are the options for treatment?

20 How old is this pet and how might the different options affect the quality of life from this point forth?

3) Which treatments can I afford to pay for?

My point is that once you've identified the medical problem and the options, and eliminated the ones that you can't afford even if you want to, what's left if a personal decision that only you can make.

The answer to that question for a new pet with a long life ahead of it might be very different than that of a pet who might not live more than a few months regardless....so, it's relative.

One might be more likely to inspire you to spend inordinately, the other -- maybe not so much....

I sent this to you via pm, mink.

In case others might find it useful:

cats in crisis financial assistance

There are also links to support/info groups on yahoo for particular diseases. I have found the crf group (thanks to sobo) to be very helpful with tips to increase Latte's quality of life. Tips that my vet seemed unaware of at the time. There are also links to help answer your question regarding how much is to much/when is it time?

Keep us posted!

Carolyn

thanks so much carolyn. i know you and latte have been through a LOT!

if nothing else, i don't feel quite so nuts for spending so much on my kitty. :)

the good news is that i get to bring him home today. he responded very well to the initial round of treatment and his blood sugar is good now. i guess diabetes is hard to control in cats so i hope that i can maintain it at home.

Growing up we had a diabetic cat for years, though ours wasn't insulin resistant. She was absolutely fine and had a normal life until she was about 16. She just had to get her daily shot. She actually could have cared less, but each and every shot freaked the dog out and he would go hide under the bed :crazy:

Hopefully everything turns out well!

dogs are goofy sometimes! i hope that we're in for a smoother ride than i thought. oscar doesn't mind his shots so that part is easy. they're trying a different type of insulin which he is apparently responding well to. it also appears that he is still producing some insulin on his own which bodes well for being able to control it well at home. :)

he's only 9 so hopefully we'll have many years to come. i haven't been this attached to a cat in a long time. oscar is the extra cool variety.

I seem to share a similar attitude toward pets as Porter (although I've never eaten any of mine).

I've had a few friends comment that it sometimes seems like Vets are cashing in on other's optimism and emotional attachment. 'Your pet MIGHT do better and be able to live a good life IF such-and-such treatment works.'

It can be hard to gauge how big the MIGHT and IF really are. My sister's cat had a hyper-thyroid problem at the end of his years. The Vet prescribed expensive drugs that helped a bit but insisted that she bring the cat in for tests every 3 months. The cat really wasn't very healthy but the Vet seemed to manage to keep her coming in and she spent quite a bit of money. She finally put him down a few years ago.

Looking back she has said that she will never go through that again. Neither of them truly benefited from it in the end as the cat was really quite miserable and so was she. She will get pets again soon and has said that there has to be clear evidence that the pet will live a happy life and integrate well into her family for her to invest that much emotion.