Web Search for climbers

Ade

So I put together a web search engine based on Google's custom search that should give better results for climbing related searches. For example if you search for "Omega" the first results returned will be fore the Omega Pacific climbing gear company not Omega watches.

http://www.ademiller.com/search

Let me know if you think it's working. I'm still testing it out.

Ade

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!! :tup:

I was trying some random words. When I search for "David" on your search engine, I get a lot of hits from the Cornell CS dept. Seems strange, as none of those folks (who's pages are hit) have anything climbing or outdoor related on their web pages. Any reason why cornell cs of all the places?? At the same time, the Mount David page on SummiPost is not hit in the first three pages of links output from your search engine.

Pup,

The way this works is that a Google custom search lets you specify a subset of the web and return hits from these pages preferentially to hits from all the other pages, I guess by artificially upping their ranking. So all I can do is improve Google's existing results. If you search on regular Google where does SummitPost's Mount David page rank?

You can be sure summitpost is on the list of climbing sites though. I'm working on adding more buts of the web when I find holes in the search.

Ade

Thanks for the tip on how the custom search works. I was guessing something along those lines. You're correct - the SP page on Mount David does not have a high Page rank. In fact, even when I search for "Mount David" or "Mt David", the SP page is not in the first 2-3 pages of links pulled up (by regular Google search).

I was trying weird (combinations of) words just to see what your search engine will pull up. Except for that word ("David"), most other words I tried gave relevant results :tup: .