Which Bivy: IR, BD or OR?

Domestique

I am in the market for my first Bivy and am looking for advice and reviews.

I am currently looking at either:

Integral Designs' South Col, eVENT version

Black Diamonds' "Biblers" Big Wall Bivy

Outdoor Researchs' Advanced Bivy

I will be using this for three seasons (Fall, Spring, but mostly Winter)on backpacking trips and possibly some mountaineering trips.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Domestique

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Supertopo the other day, John Middendorf said that hands down, the Wild Things bivy was the best he'd ever tried and he'd tried a lot of them. I suspect that the IR is better based just on what folks say, you might hunt that thread down and see if he'd ever tried one of theirs.

I would tend to believe it based only on some of the extreme stuff he use to do. Later someone mentions design, I'd read the whole thing to get started.

Link

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love the features of this bivy and have used it many times. The fabric (tegraltex) is extremely durable and is equivalent to the bibler toddtex (IMO), both incorporate the fuzzy/hairy 3ply laminate.

Things I love about the bivy:

*bug mesh (keeps the skeeters out during your spring/summer adventures)

*the triple zipper's on both side of the panel opening mean that I can be all cozied up in my bag/bivy, lean my back against a tree/rock and stick my arms out either side to work on my stove or whateva'.

*The panel opening is easy to get in and out of.

*durable as all hell

*ID makes all their goodies up in Canada, eh?

Things I don't love so much:

*not the lightest weight, (nor the heaviest however).

*It doesn't pack down as small as other bivy's.

*Condensation has been a bit of an issue for me at the footbox (i think my feet put off a fair amount of moisture at night). I strongly advise a microfiber/pertex shelled sleeping bag to protect your down (I use only down bags at this point).

Other bivy's to consider:

ID eVent South Col (drool) packs down to half the size of the salathe, and nearly half the weight... though does not have ANY bug mesh or 'creature features'. Lightweight and simplicity is the key here and I would plan on using it only in cold, mountain type environments; where I would use the Salathe in any environment.

• 3 weeks later...

I have nothing but positive things to say about the ID eVent Unishelter.... I'm 6'6", 240... There is room enough to stick my size 48 boots above my head and still not have the mesh door on my face when I sleep. The little vent is handy too, I don't have to rebreath my own bad breath all night. In addition there is just enough room for me to change my cothes inside it while zipped up.

For big dudes it's really the only way to go, for someone smaller it would be a castle... a guy half my size wedge a woman in there and really heat things up.

• 6 months later...

i have the integral design south col. not e-vent. don't like it. maybe its me but tons, tons of condensation. used it on the bc coast all summer and on nights without precip id wake up to, on a good day, a wet foot box. good thing i didn't have a down bag. os don't the regular south col.

i climb with people who use the OR alpine bivy. they like it, maybe look at that.

Two cents worth.

I hate bivy sacks with a passion, I hate them enough that I would

rather carry a one man tent and wrap it around myself if I can't

get it to set up.

Check out this tent.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=38&p_id=2322296

You can check it out at pro mountain sports. Unless I knew

for sure I couldn't set up a tent, I would not take a bivy.

This tent is about the same weight as many bivi sacks. Most would consider being in a bivy in winter, personally

I would rather be in a good quality three season tent. After

you go out in your bivy a few times, a light one man tent looks

a lot better.

weight a issue? check this out.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Just need two trekking poles , 23oz weight and both

tents are reasonably priced, I think this tent could go into

many bivy spots due to it's design.

Two cents worth done...

Hope this helps.

Edited by DanO

• 4 months later...

I pretty much gave up on bivy bags since the latest generation of single wall tents came out. For two people they're not much heavier than each carrying a bivy bag, especially if you get one with poles.

I have a super light bivy I sometimes take on summer rock routes. The only other time I use one is if I think the route is going to not have anything lerge enough to pitch a tent.