Insoles that fit with LaSportiva Nepals?

mwalker

Anyone have any suggestions for an insole that works well with these boots?

I've tried using my orange superfeet but they are too thick in the heel so they screw up the fit of the boots (cause the heel of the boot is so sculpted it seems that any insole that is thicker than the factory supplied ones don't work).

Anyone tried using the other types of superfeet with these boots?

thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I wear my green superfeet in my Nepals. One thing I did notice is that my Nepals took longer to break in than any other boot I've ever owned. The first 8 mile hike I did in my Nepals they tore me up (and boots NEVER tear me up)... all the friction points where different then my other boots. After the 5th hike where I really got some sweat in them, they just seamed to relaxed. Now I can run in them and they feel great. Not sure if the boot broke in or my foot got broke in, perhaps it was a little of both going on.

One other thing, I learned a new blister cure. If you get a big half dollar size blister. The first night after you have gotten it, tear off the skin and spread some of the banana boat aloe gel on it real thick, by the next day you will be able to hike on it. Some kinda of magic I tell ya!

First mistake was not trying on the boots with the insoles you are planning on using. My Nepals are too tight with my Sole's, which I use with every other shoe I have, but the sizing is perfect with Shockdoctors.

You could try the Blue Superfeet or Green Superfeet. The Blue are the thinnest, the Green have a little more cushioning. The Orange are thicker than both because they have the padded forefoot area.

One thing you could also try is messing around with sock thickness. I played with 3 different insoles and 2 sock thicknesses (I use Smartwool skiing socks with my Nepals) to find the perfect fit for my heel and my toes.

I use green superfeet in mine, and they fit fine, but I tried them on with them in before purchasing. In my experience, you should find the insole that fits your arch and provides adequate support and cushion, and then try boots on with the insole in place. I like the cushioning in sole, however found the arch not rigid enough for me.

Green Superfeet. Are yours the Evos? Might try taking out the extra tongue padding and see if that works. If they're the older version, you obviously can't do that and this advice is pointless. Except for the insoles, of course.

It's funny this thread started now because I just came back from my first day long trip wearing my new Nepals and my feet were screaming for the last 4 miles! I had the Viesturs in too and it felt like my feet were in concrete shoes. Since I didn’t get blisters I was chalking it up to break-in. But it sounds like a combo of too thick of a foot bed + break in. I'll be going for the green SuperFeet now!

Interesting comment about the aloe gel. I wonder if Aloe Gator would do the same? Somebody try it and let me know.

• 1 month later...

Nepal Evo with the tongue, green super feet, and a thin sock

Another trick one of my military buddies showed me (but I haven't tried myself) is to soak the boot in warm water for 5 min, drain it, then put on a waterproof sock, and just wear it around some, nik wax it, then continue wearing it. He swears by it... there isn't much time between getting new boots and a long march. Of course they never told new recruits this and liked watching them suffer...

All I can say about my Nepals is that they are like fine wine, they just get better with time. When I first got them I was hobbling back to my car after doing training hikes on Si. Now I run it out to the car every trip. The Best 200 bucks I ever spent on ebay... well maybe the 2nd best... http://cgi.ebay.com/Feathered-Friends-Down-Parka_W0QQitemZ320245421107QQihZ011QQcategoryZ159085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Vickster