Need Information on Tatoosh Range Traverse

Jeff W

I'm researching climbing opportunities for this upcoming season that are reasonable for me with limited climbing experience. On Trails.com they indicate the Tatoosh Range Traverse is "one of the ultimate scrambling experiences." Sounds like a trip that fits my ability. Anyone done this and have insight about level difficulty? Thanks for the information.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your question exactly? I would say if you are in good shape, have a head for exposure, and can read a map it should be no problem. The traverse is pretty obvious, the rock varies, and there are some spots that could be characterized as class 4-5. There's probably a few trip reports on here if you use some search-fu.

Good luck.

I suppose it comes down to my level of comfort. I don't have concern with exposure, and scrambling is fine, but I don't have experience with alpine rock climbing. If I need a rope and knowledge of placing protection then this climb likely exceeds my current capability. I'm trying to find out if the Tatoosh Range Traverse is scrambling, or more than that.

several people have done the entire traverse in a day.

The only problem I had were on two peaks:

1)Pinnacle...I did not need rope, but others have definitely needed ropes to descend.

2)Unicorn. Low class 5 for a short section. I did not need rope on the way up, but needed for a short rappel.

recommendation: take bike to trailhead to Unicorn, and stash bike in trees. Drive back to Longmire and ascend trail to Eagle, then do the traverse, and then down to your bike, which then you can ride back to Longmire.