Best School for a Climber U of O or OSU ?

KingsMM

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to OSU, yes they have a cool climbing gym, but unless you are super driven, you will get sick of fighting the crowds and waiting in line to climb there. If you want to go cragging, you just gotta accept that you are looking at a hour and a half drive to choss, or 3+ hour drive to Smith. As a college student, I'm guessing you aren't going to have the $$ to pay to be going to smith every weekend. The drive also makes midweek climbing impossible if you actually plan to get anything accomplished at school. In my opinion, if climbing is really an important part of your school selection criteria, don't go to school in OR.

If you're still open to suggestions, let me throw another one into the hat here: Southern Oregon University in Ashland

Pros:

LESS RAIN!!!

Good local cragging (easy to get a quick burn in before/after class or work), four different climbing areas within a 5-45 min. drive.

An okay university gym.

An excellent commercial gym in Medford (10 min away)

Still only 3 hrs to smith

You're 2-3 hours closer to Yosemite, Tahoe, Castle Crags, Mt. Shasta, and other Cali goodies.

Ashland is a cool town.

Cons:

Can't compare to outdoor/climbing related clubs and classes offered at bigger schools.

Smaller university (this could also be a Pro) means fewer options for classes and majors.

Just throwin' that out there... good luck.

I'm going to drop the ol' PSU. Close to Broughton Bluff, Beacon, Hood, Smith--3 Hours, Adams--2 hours, Rainier 2-3 hours, Olympics 3 hours, and closer to the North Cascades, Ice climbing in BC and Banks. Then again, I do more alpine and ice then just rock climbing. Plus, you have a larger pool of climbers to draw from. PSU has a adequate gym, but there is also Portland Rock Gym.

Perhaps you should figure out which school is strongest in the major you might pursue and then climb at the areas nearest that school. Spring breaks are for Indian Creek, J Tree etc. Winter breaks for Lillooet, hyalite canyon etc.

I have worked in the outdoor program and climbing gym at OSU. I can tell you that the program at OSU has first rate new things, but the program was reorganized a few years ago and it has taken a turn for the worse I feel. Yes, there is a shiny new gym with lots of plastic, but that is where it ends. If you are motivated for climbing, it will do nicely, but there are a LOT of gumbys who are in there tripping over their daisy chain thongs. The director of the climbing gym and some outdoor programs replaced a VERY competent and appreciated man several years ago and has turned the whole place into a huge liability-scared cautionfest. If you are just looking for a climbing gym, OSU will beat out all other schools, but the outdoor program (trips, clubs, freedom to organize) blows donkey nutz. If you do go to OSU, give a holler, I would be more than happy to introduce you to some folks or give a catch as I am a townie now.

And when you really think about it, how many college towns (or towns in general), can you hop on your bike w/ your rack in your pack; ride 10 minutes and trad climb till your done sauce? Not that the columns are huge by ANY means, but you can still run laps and plunk some gear in the wall.