Lostine Canyon OR??

Has anyone been there for ice climbing recently? Any idea if stuff is in? Who here has climbed in this area before?

I found this link. The pics are from last year, same time, and looks like there is plenty to do for a day for sure. The forecast for the weekend looks okay, i.e., not too warm (at least up in the canyon).

Any one want to check out the climbs either Saturday or Sunday? Sobo, do you still have the penis pass available? :wave:

I tried calling Steve at Terminal Gravity, but he was already gone for the day. The lady whom I spoke to said it has been quite cold in those areas recently (but she's not an ice climber).

A search here brought up a single relevant post.

Edited by pup_on_the_mountain

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We climbed a little ice in the Wallowas a couple of weekends ago. It was much lower elevation than the stuff in Hurricane Creek and the Lostine, so I'm sure stuff was in but also super wind loaded and sketchy avy conditions because it was raging when we left. Since then, I don't know what's been going on out there. Check a sno-tel site to get a sense of temps over the past two weeks. If it hasn't warmed up too much, it should be in. Otherwise, wait to talk to Steve next week when he's back in the pub.

Edited by Winter

I love the Lostine River Canyon! I did a ton of work out there for the last three years. Really a beautiful place. I would be surprised however that the area looks anything like the pictures posted. For one, once you hit the Nation Forest Service/ wilderness boundary i am almost positive that the roads are not maintained (ie. Like Hurricane Creek)Once you get past the Lostine River Ranch and cross over the river for the first time there are a few houses, but beyonde that it is just FS/Wilderness. I know where that rock face is those guys were on and think that Steve and Steve House have done some firs rock ascents there. The good thing is it is not too far up the hill from where the road is likely not plowed, so you could bring skis or snowshoes and probably get in there with an hour or 2 approach. Avi danger is always going to be tihe main concern as the rock is not vertical/almost grantic dome face like so would be below some high avi prone slopes. be smart, check it out. it is a looong drive in winter! From PDX it is about 7 hours in winter mainly taking a lot of time between laGrande down through the Minam canyon to Wallowa. if you are coming from Eastern WA, Walla Walla, there is a short cut that takes you over Hwy 204. it starts just outside of Milton-Freewater and drops you down into Elgin. There is a ski resort there at the top, but that road can be dicey. At the very least, bring skis and go off to the backcountry, get drunk at TG or hang with the locals in Lostine. There is a cool coffee shop right at thse junction of Lostine River Rd. called the Blue banana and for a real american experience, go have coffee at the Lostine Tavern (it is where all the farm trucks are parked). Say hellow to Soony for me while in there. Your clothes will smell like "braosted chicken" for months........