Vapor Bag or Over Bag for Down Sleeping bags?

Domestique

Hello,

I just joined this site (a great wealth of knowledge here).

Anyways, I am looking at getting my first down bag for winter backpacking (have been a Synthetic user for years).

My question is, should I use a vapor bag like "Integral Design"

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=677&CFID=102569&CFTOKEN=82186501&mainproducttypeid=5

or use an over bag like MEC's

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302865705&bmUID=1202356294240

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Domestique

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was another thread last winter on this topic.

For the sake of comfort I like the overbag idea.

The VBL's are stickiy if you get too hot. Of course for a long trip, that is a LOT better than getting cold due to less loft from condensation. But another consideration is, when and where are you going. It has to be pretty cold around here to need two bags.

I've not actually used a vapor barrier in a bag -- do they block ALL vapor? I have always expected that a vapor barrier would be too damp. Then, last summer I finally used the emergency shelter I've been hauling around with me for years. It's basically a long plastic tube, and I was SOAKED from normal skin evaporation within an hour. It was pretty amazing.

I'd recommend carrying an extra layer of polypro to keep you warm in the bag if necessary. That way you have something you (or your partner) could use outside the bag as well, if necessary.