question about climbing and skis

godskid5

What kind of skis are best for climbing? Are there more than one kind?

I would like to try it out, but i have never skied (sp?) before, and am not even sure this would be a good idea with my lack of experience on skis. Do you use climbing boots, or do you have to wear ski boots? If you wear ski boots, can you climb in them when it gets to steep/technical to ski?

Seems like this would be the way to go with long winter approaches, and could make coming down the mountain a little less painful.

One more question, what kind of prices would I be looking at to buy a used setup?

Thanks for you patience!!

dave

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Used gear runs the gamut on pricing. Don't go ghetto on your boots and if you are serious, lay out the coin to get a decent pair of boots fitted to your feet by someone who knows what they are doing. Skis and bindings are less important and you can get a thrasher pair for your learning curve.

If you've never skied before, get an AT setup and spend some time on the lifts with someone who can give you pointers. Don't bother with tele unless you are a masochist.

Used gear runs the gamut on pricing. Don't go ghetto on your boots and if you are serious, lay out the coin to get a decent pair of boots fitted to your feet by someone who knows what they are doing. Skis and bindings are less important and you can get a thrasher pair for your learning curve.

If you've never skied before, get an AT setup and spend some time on the lifts with someone who can give you pointers. Don't bother with tele unless you are a masochist.

You'll definitely want an AT settup.

The rigid sole on AT boots will take crampons just fine and they're not too bad to walk in, and plenty warm/waterproof. But you'll definitely want to spend some at a resort getting your feet under you before you throw a 40lb pack into the mix. I picked up a used AT settup here for about $600 a couple of years ago ($400 skis/bindings, $200 boots), but you can certainly do it cheaper.