Used Gear for canyons - Zion climbing ideas?

Blake

I think I'll be in Zion for a week in March.

I am looking for climbing/canyoneering ideas, and also would love some trashable gear if anyone has it laying around.

As far as climbing ideas, I'm looking for the best free climbs 5.7-5.11 (so far The Headache and Iron Messiah are on the list)

If someone has any thin ropes that they retired from climbing, but we could rappel on them, I would love to take them off your hands.

Same with locking biners and old junky belay devies (even a figure-8) that you might have laying around. It just needs to be ok for a few days of rappeling and getting rubbed by an abrasive rope. I'll be glad to pay as well.

If you have done a canyon or two, and want to suggest one, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pine creek canyon and key hole could be done in a day for max drysuit rental useage. Good "beginner" slots. Casual for usual climber types. There is a guidebook out for zion slots.

I got a 100 ft static line that will get you through some canyons if you like. I also have a beater 60m half rope you can have.

don't miss the moderate aid walls like prodigal sun, moonlight buttress and touchstone. Ticking off one of those in a day+ would be a nice addition to the trip (prodigal is easiest).

Behunin canyon is a fun canyon right in zion that includes a scenic hike up into the high country and some nice slot. No wetsuit needed either. I've got a 60m 10.5mm you can have that we bootied off the last rap in Behunin :)

It's not all that technical but the Zion Narrows hike is a cool way to spend a long day or maybe better, two days. It is 16 miles with a good chunk of it trudging down the middle of the river as aposed to a trial on the side of the river. There was one swim for us and a number of places wading water up to your waste. We did it in September so it will be colder (too cold?) for you. In addition to that I second what Alpinedave said.

Blake,

You can do any of the main canyons in Zion with a 75ft rap. We used two 75 ft 7mm lines for our several trips there.

My favorites:

The Subway. Swimming and raps required. Velociraptor fossils. Awesome.

Orderville Canyon. I'm can't remember if raps are required but there's definitely a bunch of wading at the end where it dumps into the Virgin River Canyon. Don't park up top if it's gonna rain...the gumbo is a bitch to drive on!

Black Pools. Got positioned at the top but didn't do it because of heavy snowfall/melt/flood danger. It's a classic, however.

Virgin River. Also a classic, but we also didn't do it due to flooding.

As for gear, we hiked/swam naked with thin neoprene booties and sandals, and big ole dry bag packpacks. It was late Sept. A light dry bag in a regular backpack would be more comfy and lighter. We just tossed the pack into the pool and used it for flotation. The water temperature is in the 50s, but none of the pools are very long. The exception would be the Virgin River: A wetsuit is advised due long periods in the drink.

BTW, you're welcome to use my 7mils.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I've got an old rope that was only used on a 35 day Denali trip you can have. Never took any falls but I retired it since we stepped on it a few times with crampons on. I think it's an 8mm/60m but I'd have to dig it up to be sure, might be a 9mm/50m. I'm in the Columbia Gorge near Beacon Rock. Sure it be good for rapping and the like. PM if interested.

I did Pine Canyon a few years ago in the spring and had a blast. I think the last rappel needed a 60m rope but my memory is fuzzy. I would definitely recommend renting or borrowing a wetsuit, we were semi-hypothermic towards to end, even with suits. We had to run laps on tin sand bars between some of the swims to build up body heat. It stays dark and cold down there in the spring. Awesome times though!