[TR] Black Rocks, sunny side. St George UT - many 2/2/2008

Trip: Black Rocks, sunny side. St George UT - many

Date: 2/2/2008

Trip Report:

fyi... there is good cragging in southwest utah in the winter. 10-15 degrees warmer and than anywhere else in the state.

couple hour drive south of salt lake is st george. we went to the outdoor outlet in the downtown to get some beta for what would be sunny. black rocks is a few miles out of town and a 1.3 minute approach. sold. pretty much the whole sunny side wall is 5.9 to 5.10 short sport routes. you can start at one end and just work your way to the other. small edges and cool pockets.

weather was going to be bad on sunday but we drove around a little more to check out some of the other areas. looks like prophecy wall would be an awesome area. again, 2 minute approach for 2-3 pitch sport climbs in the .10's.

looking forward to going back. it is all pretty recently developed climbing areas and is a shorter drive than to vegas.

Gear Notes:

depeds on where you go. if you go to black rocks, you only need a handfull of quickdraws

Approach Notes:

SHORT!!!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've climbed at the Prophesy Wall and that place is pretty sweet. The rock is very similar to Red Rock but is typically bolt protected. Snow Canyon State Park is also worth checking out. The rock there seemed more like the sandstone of Zion.

I drove to Crawdad Canyon, but couldn't bring myself to climb there. The rock is like the basalt you were climbing on, except it's on private property so they turned into into an outdoor climbing gym. The bolts are 2-3' apart and plaques at the base of the route stating the name/grade. To top it off, you have to pay to climb there.

I drove to Crawdad Canyon, but couldn't bring myself to climb there. The rock is like the basalt you were climbing on, except it's on private property so they turned into into an outdoor climbing gym. The bolts are 2-3' apart and plaques at the base of the route stating the name/grade. To top it off, you have to pay to climb there.

I have climbed at Crawdad Canyon. It is on private property so you pay $6 and sign a release and go climb. I thought is was one of the most unique places I have ever climbed. I loved it. The approach is about 30 seconds. Me and my partner got in 18 pitches BEFORE lunch. Then another 5 after lunch. All the anchors have cold shuts on them so just run your rope through and lower……makes is so easy. I would climb there again. St. George rules.