your advice - to climb or not

spidergirl

Hello- I have lurked but am a new poster here. I’m hoping someone can help advise me... I’m supposed to take an ice climbing course with a friend this weekend but have an injured hand. In mid-Dec. I injured my ring finger tendon while rock climbing so haven’t climbed since. I saw a sports doc who said no rock climbing for 4-6 weeks, ice, and wrap. I no longer have pain in the finger but I do have pain in the palm of my hand, running down from that finger.

I’ve ice climbed several times before but never with a hand injury. My question is, will ice climbing this weekend aggravate the rock climbing injury? Or should using an ice axe be okay?

Anyone had this experience? I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello- I have lurked but am a new poster here. I’m hoping someone can help advise me... I’m supposed to take an ice climbing course with a friend this weekend but have an injured hand. In mid-Dec. I injured my ring finger tendon while rock climbing so haven’t climbed since. I saw a sports doc who said no rock climbing for 4-6 weeks, ice, and wrap. I no longer have pain in the finger but I do have pain in the palm of my hand, running down from that finger.

I’ve ice climbed several times before but never with a hand injury. My question is, will ice climbing this weekend aggravate the rock climbing injury? Or should using an ice axe be okay?

Anyone had this experience? I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Depends on the nature of the hand injury and the sort of ice you'll be climbing, I'd think.

I've been able to climb mellower/lower angle stuff with a tweak that sounds similar to yours no problem, but once I got on steeper routes that actually got a decent forearm pump going, it definitely seemed to aggravate the injury and prolonged the pain associated with it by at least a couple of weeks.

I think the answer depends on what your lifting program entailed. In the past I have found that the pressure on my fingers from pulling on heavy loads (eg Lat Pull Down, Weighted Pull-ups) irritated my fingers. Just avoiding these types of exercises, reducing weight load or using straps solved the problem.

I have found that lifting heavy things have irritated my injured tendon (more in the palm of my hand now). Lifting the laundry basket, heavy pots while washing dishes...even holding a heavy squash with my fingers spread (so that I could scoop the seeds out) hurt my tendon. So I haven't been lifting weights.

I had thought I could possibly ice climb because gripping doesn't seem to bother it as much. But JayB's point about using the forearm made me reconsider. I could see how the forearm muscle use could put strain on the hand muscles.

Lifting the laundry basket, heavy pots while washing dishes...even holding a heavy squash with my fingers spread (so that I could scoop the seeds out) hurt my tendon. So I haven't been lifting weights.

I have this same problem, doing laundry, washing dishes, vacuuming all seem to aggravate old climbing injuries. :D

:rocken:

Edited by Budweiser

I think in general tendon injuries, rotator cuffs, tendonitis etc, (anything that will get irritated with use) require pretty much absolute rest to heal quickly and not linger.

So you can lift weights all you want, you just can't do it with using your injured hand.