Adams - East Side Access

Couloir

I've done a lot of studying of the east side of Adams with regards to a circumnav (I've climbed it more times than I can count. It's time to step it up with a good run this summer). I want to knock it out in one day (Barry, are you reading this?)

The route through the reservation seems pretty straight forward, but there is one area that I'm concerned about. It's around the base of the Klickitat heading north past the Rusk (through "Avalanche Valley"). I know it's steep and could likely be either washed out or have some other significant problems. In short, I've heard it's rough, which I'm ok with. But I want some specifics.

Anyone? TIA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By my calculations ~38 miles. But the section I'm curious about is the wild card so it could be less, or it could be a lot more. Total elevation should be around 9000', again depending upon this section.

What will I eat? The usual. What will I drink when I'm finished? I think you know the answer to that question! :brew::brew::brew:

This is on my list for '08 - as a one day too. I have the specifics on The Gap worked out too. With all the snow we're having it may not be doable until early august. PM me for details or if you want to join forces. A certain other poster here who's name is not Adamsdawg and I are doing this trip fo sho.

It would also be fun to break the trip into two days by car camping at/just above Cold Springs with support. I've thought about having my wife drop me off at Muddy Meadows, then meet me at Cold Springs that night, then pick me back up at Muddy Meadows at the end of day two. More time for pictures along the way.

:tup: I see you live in Tacoma too. I'll PM you my info. Next to the Olympic Mountains, the Mount Adams/Goat Rocks area is at the top of my mountain-love list. I've climbed several routes on Adams over the years, but I haven't visited the east side before. I hear Avalanche Valley is incredible. Have you read "Tales of a Western Mountaineer" by C E Rusk? Some good Mount Adams stories from the late 19th/early 20th century.

This is great news. Nice to see the interest. Norman_Clyde pm'd me a few months ago and expressed some interest in this form of abuse.

It would be great as we get closer to this time frame to try and pull something together. It would be great to finally meet you guys as well.

Here is a good site for general info on other trips similar to this, but the site forwards you here for a trip that some guys took around Adams in 2001.

I'd certainly like to try it in one day, but if the consensus is two-days then I'd be cool with that.

Two days for an old guy like me is doable barring a heart transplant in the near term. Twenty or so mpd is a good pace given the terrain unknowns. That said, if there is enough interest perhaps consideration might be given to doing both 1 & 2 day groups starting at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be doing that anyway.

I agree about setting a date. Snow is the variable right now. I like July, but it may be late August if the melt takes its time. Perhaps we should take this off line and stay in touch that way. But I'm certainly not adverse to more spray in this slot.

Guys:

I'd be down for a one or two-dayer as well. I love Adams, have been up quite a few times, and have a connection down near Husum that would let us camp in the back 40 for a good party after!

I've always liked early to mid-July but this year, who the hell knows!

I'll keep an eye out, but please include me on any update emails!

Love to meet some more of you P-town folks.

• 5 months later...