Scarpa Triolet GTX

Vorar

Does anyone Have anything to say about the Scarpa Triolet GTX's. I'm thinking about getting them for some multi use spring/summer lake bagging & moderate snow ascents. (Mt. Baker, Bacon Peak area) But I can't find many reviews on them. Good bad ugly?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If demand is any indication, these boots are excellent. They are the single most popular model we have sold in both 2006 and 2007. We have to re-order these boots every few weeks. Our customers love them. They fit differently from Garmont Towers, Sportiva Trango S Evo, and Kayland Apex XT. The Triolet has a roomier toebox and fits a higher volume foot better than the Trango S, but it's also heavier. What you get for that extra weight is improved durability. The leather construction takes a beating from scree, snow, etc. a lot better than the fabric panels in synthetic boots. Plus they are a little less expensive than other popular models in that category.

Our staff also love them, a few of the folks here wear Triolets. They have worn them into the Pickets, on Baker, on Rainier, all over the Cascades, really. They work well on steep-ish alpine routes, but start to run into limitations when you get to really steep ice. The soles are a stiffer than the Trango, but not as stiff as the Tower or Apex XT. It's a great boot for the textbook Cascade climb of Grade 3 route with Grade 4 approach.

I bought a pair from FF last year. They work well for general 3-season Cascade use. I used them on glacier slogs, rock to 5.6, and ice cragging on the Coleman. They're holding up well. The fit is just okay for me. For my low volume feet I added a custom insole on top of the stock one and a neoprene shim to the tongue. A half size smaller fit generally better, but my toes hit the front when walking downhill.

Tried a pair of 44.5's on today. They fit pretty well and didnt seem all that heavy.I liked them better than the lighter Trango's(EVO) The only thing is they sure don't have much of a front lip for crampons (actually no lip at all). So which crampons do you guys recomend for these? I dont want strap-ons wont take step-ins so just leaves newmatic yes?

• 2 weeks later...

How do these compare with the lighter, more Trango-like Scarpa Charmoz? Has anyone used both? I am debating between the two. Fit is about the same but wonder if the extra beef is worth it or if it takes its toll on long approaches. Currently not doing anything too technical, but would like to get there.

Hey, Loren, (sorry, a bit off topic :blush:)

Unless I'm misreading your post, it sounds like you're asking whether the extra weight of the Triolet is worth it vs. the loss of durability with the synthetic Charmoz? I can't tell you about the Scarpas, but what I CAN tell you, is that I purchased a set of the Trango Extreme EVO GTX here in Portland over the winter...the synthetic "leather" of them really isn't holding up well. From what I've seen, the Charmoz is made out of similar material.

This is my point, that I think will translate to the Charmoz vs. Triolet: I should have bought some of the Trango Ices (yellow version) that are made out of real leather; I can see that, even though I got a smokin' deal on these, they aren't going too last long, especially if I were to do a scree-filled approach. I love these boots so much, that I have a hard time leaving them at home for just about anything...I'd gladly sacrifice a gain of a few extra ounces to make them last a few years instead of twelve months :)

I have two pals who have the Charmozes, but are electing to keep them as a specific, fast-and-light boots that they save for specific endeavors...they predict, much like my silver Trangos, their life expectancy will be short.

Hope this helps-

Cheers,

Chad

Thanks Chad, That WAS very helpful. The Charmoz are super light and really comfortable, but I don't want to buy another pair of boots next year, or the year after. Plus, with the Triolet, if I get lost in the snow, I can throw my feet up in the air and someone is sure to see the bright orange glow on snow.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...