Best climbing months on Rainier

xman

Generally speaking for a novice. Meaning weather, ice conditions up high, etc. etc. I climbed last Septmeber and the conditions got to icy up high for our team to get any higher than about 12,800. The guides turned us back. (which is fine, I trust their judgement). Thanks everyone.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

for the Emmons or DC, July to early August.

I guess mid June is close to that huh? :)

Weekends in June in the cascades often suck ass. I'd say you are lucky to get one decent weekend in June, especially on Rainier. Last year, I had two weekends set aside for Fuhrer Finger and both fell through due to weather. But, there was perfect weather up there one weekend at the end of May (memorial day weekend, I think).

If you can do midweek though, and run out with little notice, well your odds are better.

The weather does seem to stabilize the weekend *after* the 4th of July.

Thanks for all the great replies guys. I will be climbing with a guide service again,(still a novice) and was just curious. I can now see why all of the climbs in July book first. lol My main concern is still returning safely, but would love to summit Rainier on this, my second attempt. At least I chose a time when the moon will be full. Don't know how many other's have planned a climb around the phases of the moon. :grin: Thanks again, This is a great site and as I'm new to climbing and moutaineering, I have been soaking up all the great replies on here. Cheers.