Releasable tele bindings

Dirtnerd

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Try telemarktips.com , I've seen lots of threads on there about the 7tms.

This is a massive understatement. You will find so much information and discussion on tele bindings on ttips that you will want to bash your head in with one by the end. So, to get more info on your question, go there. We are all amateurs on this board when it comes to tele gear critique.

I've been skiing on 7tm bindings for a couple years. I like them. A couple important things to note are that they only release laterally and not vertically (in other words only if you twist the ski to the side and not straight up) and they are heavy. About 3 times as heavy as my old G3 cable bindings. The heel lifters are nice.

They've released for me several times (a testament to my shitty tele abilities) and I've been damn glad when they have for the most part. You can adjust the release. They are finicky to get back into if you do pop out.

I'm curious about the Voile CRB or the 7tm Power Tour.

I use 3-pin Hardwire CRBs for touring and they work great. No pre-release problems and they release both laterally and backwards. I figured that was a good thing since I'm usually carrying a heavy overnight or multi-day pack when I'm skiing on them. The 3-pin also allows for less resistance when climbing (but still much more than the free pivot tele bindings) because you don't need to keep the heel bail latched onto your boot. They are about half the price of 7tms once you factor in the cost of brakes, climbing heels, etc.

They look godawful ugly, but they work and are good value for the $. If you do have any problems, Voile customer service is top notch.

I've also heard rumors of a new boot/binding tele setup that is releasable. Heard anything about that?

Rottefella's New Telemark Norm (NTN) binding was released this year and is being marketed as releasable. It isn't compatible with traditional 75mm duckbill tele boots, so you gotta be ready to throw down about $1,100 to get the boot & binding combo. As seems to be the norm with first gen tele bindings, there have been some issues. Most notably with the bellows in Scarpa's Terminator X boots being too stiff.

Get on TTips.... there's more binding discussions on there than you'll be able to absorb.