huaraz/peru part 4

trekking?? santa cruz, oh yeah , thats the sport....well i got invited to join 2 guys to do that trek. i dont trek! unless it takes me to a peak... stew,petar and i went to vaquaria to start the trek. its a very nice trek with lots of spectacular snow capped mtns... if you can see them.they sell it to gringos as a 4day thing. its a 8/10hrs trek.(quick) . i decided to go after i saw i could do 1 or 2, 5000m peaks on the way.i reached the first camp in 2;30hrs, stew from hollandia in 3h and petar in 7hrs!!, right at nightfall. we had a slight problem... next day we would climb over the pass at 4700m and petar was obviouslay not acclimatized. i suggested he go back. no avail. next we agreed that i would go to the col,drop my pack and come back to get his. stew went ahead to next camp. i climbed towards the col.at about 4000m i traversed left and went to climb 2 , 5000m peaks connected by a ridge.i left my pack (30lbs) at 4600m. it was a cool,exposed, rock ridge.about 1000yds long .i passed the first one with no problem but the second was steeper and covered in wet snow.i had to climb a short vertical section to get to the summit. pics and turned back.i was back at my pack in 1h30 round trip. i now had to traverse about 1000m to go put my pack at the col and go get petar's. that was more tenous than expected.lots of ups and down. i got to the trail, hid my pack and started down.it was now 4h30 from petar's start and i expected to see him on the trail, down there. i could see about 2hrs back. no sign. i climbed down 1h ,to the end of the flat part i could see...no sign.it started to hail/rain.i figured he was in trouble somewhere lower.i had nothing with me.pointless to go join him.i HAD to go back up and get the tent and stuff . when i reached my pack the cold rain doubled. daing!! it went down fast to get to him and to stay warm!after about 1h30 i heard a faint hey!! it was his voice coming from a cave along the trail.he was about a mile from the camp!!in 6 hrs!! i pitched the tent made soup and tea i told him the trip was over and i would go down with him next day .the next morning at 7 he awakens me and says he's ready to go up or down, whatever i think. i go back to bed. 45 min later a guide going up asks if i'm ok. i say yes but my pal is a little sick so we're going down.he looks inside the tent and says where is your friend?.oh ,in the cave, i reply..(petar wanted to stay in there)he checks and says ,well, there's nobody there... he gone up!! i packed the wet tent quickly and started up after him.my pack felt heavy this time.i patiently climbed back up to the col. i caught up to him close to to it. he was fine. i was angry. told him he was on his own and i was going ahead to next camp.i ended up waiting at the col to take pics . i was happy for him..i went ahead to next camp. i got there , set up the tent made water, tea, soup for him. he got there later. next day i hooked up with a french couple who could really walk and we got out in 4hrs.! (reg 6-8hrs) it was a cool finish (running the last mile !) to a otherwise rainy/plain/frustrating trek.

i took few pics of the mtns we could see.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic