Low flying jets in the cascades

lancegranite

Dad and I were fondly remembering watching A-6 Intruders fly below us in the Downey Creek drainage. Another favorite was eating lunch on top of Cowbow Mtn. at Stevens and having a jet dip it's wings at eye level around 100 feet away.

Tell me about getting buzzed when you were out in the mountains!

A little eye candy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKdljUac1DY

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing a pair of jets fly down the valley below us while we were camped at Boulder Basin on Glacier Peak back in 2003. I think they were probably A6 Intruders from Whidbey, but I wasn't really sure. It was a really cool sight though, with them flying below us.

1) Image Lake, 1997. EA - 6B's quite a bit below us

2) South Face of Forbidden, 1989. C-130 over Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm. Way below us.

3) Cochise Stronghols, 2006. C-130 even with us

4) Chickenhead Ledge, 1984. Big rainstorm. Big clouds above us, big clouds below us. Little airplane level with us. We were thinking that we were a little fucked, but he was real fucked.

Boy the Stories. Buzzed in the Okanogan once sitting in a Lookout on Tunk Mtn by a F-15 came by even with us and waved. Out in the Wheat fields east of Waterville seen a B-52 flying LOW below us towards Banks Lake.

But having spent time the the Air Force, The best was riding along in a F-14 January 1986 We buzzed Main Street Omak at 400 mph about 200feet off the deck, had a big fat smile on My face that day !

A partner and I were hiking up the approach to the climber's base camp on Mt Whitney. Just as we'd got out of the trees and bushes, I turn around for a look back down into the Owens Valley and coming right up at us from down lower in the valley is an F-15 going fast enough to be completely silent to us until it passed a few hundred feet over our heads. It continued to hug the face of the mountain until it flew up over the summit ridge and executed a arcing turn to the south.

About five minutes after I'd summited Mt Cook in NZ, a tourist plane (a Pilatus Porter)buzzed the summit by a hundred feet. We couldn't see it coming because the actual summit was off-limits due to the massive rock-slide that had occurred a year or two earlier. Technically, an illegal fly-over according to the park but it's NZ after all.

Sitting on a balcony in Grindelwald or Gimmelwald or whatever that little Swiss toy town is at the base of the Nordwand. A pure white jet comes screaming across the valley, a few hundred feet off the deck, headed right for the Eiger. At the very last second he tips the nose up and goes ballistic, straight up the face, overshoots the mountain, slows to a stop, hammerheads, and reverses the entire maneuver.

Skiing up the final few hundred feet of Glacier Peak from our camp on the Whitechuck. We hear a rumble, look down slope, and a lone Intruder is rocketing up the slope about 200 feet off the deck. We wave, he inverts, and does a ballistic, inverted dive right between the summits.

Summited the lava dome in the crater of St. Helens with my buddy Rob in '97, before it got a bit more feisty. The tourist chopper enters the crater and circles the summit of the lava dome and the two naked humans perched on top.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

On the Alpine Lakes High route just after Iron Cap Peak and Pass heading up toward Tank Lakes in Spring snow when an A6 came through the Pass at about 100'. We were eye to eye with pilot.

Only thing that came close was by Uhebe Craterin Death Valley when F14's were practicing supersonic dog fights from the Top Gun school at Nellis.

Nevada is a really good place to see military aircraft.

Try climbing at a little place called the Mecca Boulders.

The area lies inside the Delamar FAS,mach 1+ freindly.

We were on a small hillside doing important climbing thing, watched in awe as jet fighter swerved to miss our car parked below then intercept enemy fighter flying around other side of hill*

*plane's actual altitude may have been slightly higher