• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
John Frieh

2 car questions

For those of you that have either an AWD or 4WD vehicle:

1) What do you drive (year/make/model/other relevant details such as V4 or V6, canopy, etc etc)?

2) What kind of gas mileage do you get?

No debates please. Just answer those two questions.

XOXoxOXoxOXoxOXoxOXXOoxOXOox

John

2005 Honda Civic

38-40mpg

it's interesting to note the difference in reported mileages on car threads between websites. cc.com seems much more accurate :)

'05 subaru legacy 2.5GT 21 city. 27-28 hwy.

mpg can be improved by skipping the turbo, of course.

2008 Outback. 2.5L 4 cyl. Automatic.

25MPG, or a little less, on the daily up and down Stevens Pass.

30-31 MPG road trippin'.

That's on real snow tires, studded and siped.

On my summer rubber I do a little better.

'96 suby legacy 2.2L, 5 speed. 180k miles. 31MPG freeway w/o box on top. 27mpg with RocketBox on top & studs. sleeps 2 (or 3 in a pinch).

'87 Toyota Sunrader RV. 18mpg. sleeps 4. fridge, furnace, stove, toilet, shower, kitchen sink! ok, so it's not AWD, but it is p.i.m.p. w00t.

outside1.JPG

Edited by kurthicks

'90 gas Trooper, 2.8 V6, 5 spd, 4WD hi/lo, auto hubs, 18 mpg average

'92 diesel F250, 7.3 non turbo diesel, 5spd, 4WD hi/lo, manual hubs, 18 mpg average - including towing 10,000 pound trailers.

And a couple TDI Jettas, but there's not AWD.

'02 Audi A6 2.7T (twin turbo V6), quattro AWD, 6 sp manual tranny

Without Thule rack: 28-29 highway, avg. 22-23 city

With rack? Not sure

'01 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6, 4WD, 5 sp manual tranny, no canopy

In 2WD, 20 MPG highway, avg. 15-16ish city

In 4WD, less, but really pretty unknown

Edited by gslater

'95 mt bike. mpg=infiniti :grin:

but unfortunetly the pos getting me to the mt.'s is a 92 bronco :anger: about 10 to the gallon...Which is why i ride a bike so much.

1) 2001 Toyota Landcruiser 4/AWD...all the time w/ locking differential. Difficult to get stuck.

2) 14 city / 14 hwy / 14 everywhere else.

1) 1991 Toyota 4wd pickup,22R-E SOHC v4, canopy, 180000 miles, regular oil changes, one clutch job.

2)15-30 mpg

DSCN0960.jpg

95 Tacoma x-cab, 2.7L 4 cyl, Manual, 4x4. with canopy and not: 19-20 city, 23-4 highway

95 4x4 Toyota extra-cab pickup with fiberglass canopy. Manual. 3.0VZE V6 Engine.

Highway = 16-18mpg average, 19 on flat roads with a tailwind. ~190,000 Miles at this point.

The only in-town driving I do is to and from the highway exits. I'd guess it's at least 1-3 mpg worse in-town.

None for sale in the US that I know of. Toyota Hilux is available in Canada, I think.

There will be soon, maybe as soon as the 2009 models but maybe more likely in 2010. If I were in that market, I'd get something cheap to get by for now, then buy one when they arrive. It will be a lot different now then back in '80-84 when Nissan, Toyota, Isuzu and VW all marketed small diesel pickups. They were all underpowered and smoked. The newer ones will all be common rail/unit injector turbos with fuel efficiency and pulling power in a ligher weight chassis.

The larger diesel pickups now are all 8000+ GVW tanks and actually are really bad on approaches due to the long wheel base on water bars and the drama involved in turning around on a narrow road. I always take my Trooper if I need a 4x4 instead of my diesel 4x4 pickup.