2 car questions

John Frieh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replys so far everyone!

For you subaru and/or wagon owners... have you ever pulled a trailer? If so did it fell like your wagon was underpowered for the job?

Kinda wondering if hauling a snowmo with a wagon is a good or bad idea...

My car would tow a sled, btu I don't think it would be happy about going to the places you wouild want to take one.

For you subaru and/or wagon owners... have you ever pulled a trailer? If so did it fell like your wagon was underpowered for the job?

My car would tow a sled, btu I don't think it would be happy about going to the places you wouild want to take one.

Ditto but if I had the 6 cyl maybe it would be a bit better?

Ditto but if I had the 6 cyl maybe it would be a bit better?

That's what I am worried about... 4 vs 6 cylinders... I'm kinda leaning towards a 4 cylinder 4x4 truck...

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have not towed with my Outback (4-cyl), but having towed with other vehicles with similar power/weight ratios, I would say it wouldn't be the fastest, but you would be fine, espescially with a manual tranny. I mean, how fast do you really need to fly up the mountain passes, which only last 20 miles at the most? A little underpower isn't necessarily the worst thing. Just stick it in third and drive 60...

I have a 95 Subaru legacy, about 25 MPG, and I shutter at the thought of trying to pull something with it. Fully loaded with wife, 2 Children ski gear I can just make Stevens.

No, I would not consider pulling something with any engine with just 4 cylinders.

But, hey, that is just me.

John: Consider getting a like a Jeep Cherokee as a second vehicle. The mileage isn't horrendous, and the jeeps haul a lot. The Liberty, which is a small little comp to my Honda, gets worse mileage, but as a second vehicle you won't be using it except for some winter trips eh? Maybe some springtime mudding? By a low model used one as the Jeeps depreciate fairly fast.

My memory is that the little Liberty tows 5500 lbs but gets 17mpg. Honda CR-V, at the same size but 23 mpg, was like 800lbs or some equally damn lightweight thing like that.

Good luck:

B

I just bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all time 4WD and a V8. Gets 16 mpg in the city and 18 mpg on the highway going up the pass (much better going down). It has enough power that you wouldn't know you were towing anything unless it was as heavy as a boat.

That being said, I still drive the '01 Mercury cougar that gets 30/37 mpg as much as I can.

No 4Runner's yet??

I just got a 2000 last year with 120000+ on it. V6 with 4WD, gets a little less than 20 in town 23+ on the hi-way, not sure with 4WD. I had to help get a VW Taureg unstuck after getting high-centered on the side of the Kendall Peak Snow Park a year or so back, so I bet you won't see one of them doing this:

428345548_5e8cb6afc2.jpg

No 4Runner's yet??

I just got a 2000 last year with 120000+ on it. V6 with 4WD, gets a little less than 20 in town 23+ on the hi-way, not sure with 4WD. I had to help get a VW Taureg unstuck after getting high-centered on the side of the Kendall Peak Snow Park a year or so back, so I bet you won't see one of them doing this:

428345548_5e8cb6afc2.jpg

Wait whats that sound in the background up there?

Holy Shit, it sounds like fish screaming.....

I'm selling a 95 Mazda Protege that gets 25-30+ mpg because I got a 88 Nissan 4x4 that gets 15-19 mpg. I got tired of getting stuck in the snow. Problem is the guy who I bought the truck from told me that it gets 25-30 mpg, so I figured that it would get at least low 20s. I drive a lot, and don't make a lot of money, so I think I'm gonna sell it and get something that gets a little better.

No 4Runner's yet??

If the toureg got stuck it was because the guy driving it is a tool. The toureg has won the dakar rally (two years in a row I think). They are super beefy. I had a 4runner and not only was it the biggest POS I ever owned, but it also got the worst mileage of any car I owned: 15 in the city and 18 on the highway if I was lucky. V6 and gutless on hills.