2 car questions

John Frieh

For those of you that have either an AWD or 4WD vehicle:

1) What do you drive (year/make/model/other relevant details such as V4 or V6, canopy, etc etc)?

2) What kind of gas mileage do you get?

No debates please. Just answer those two questions.

XOXoxOXoxOXoxOXoxOXXOoxOXOox

John

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'96 suby legacy 2.2L, 5 speed. 180k miles. 31MPG freeway w/o box on top. 27mpg with RocketBox on top & studs. sleeps 2 (or 3 in a pinch).

'87 Toyota Sunrader RV. 18mpg. sleeps 4. fridge, furnace, stove, toilet, shower, kitchen sink! ok, so it's not AWD, but it is p.i.m.p. w00t.

outside1.JPG

Edited by kurthicks

'02 Audi A6 2.7T (twin turbo V6), quattro AWD, 6 sp manual tranny

Without Thule rack: 28-29 highway, avg. 22-23 city

With rack? Not sure

'01 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6, 4WD, 5 sp manual tranny, no canopy

In 2WD, 20 MPG highway, avg. 15-16ish city

In 4WD, less, but really pretty unknown

Edited by gslater

95 4x4 Toyota extra-cab pickup with fiberglass canopy. Manual. 3.0VZE V6 Engine.

Highway = 16-18mpg average, 19 on flat roads with a tailwind. ~190,000 Miles at this point.

The only in-town driving I do is to and from the highway exits. I'd guess it's at least 1-3 mpg worse in-town.

There will be soon, maybe as soon as the 2009 models but maybe more likely in 2010. If I were in that market, I'd get something cheap to get by for now, then buy one when they arrive. It will be a lot different now then back in '80-84 when Nissan, Toyota, Isuzu and VW all marketed small diesel pickups. They were all underpowered and smoked. The newer ones will all be common rail/unit injector turbos with fuel efficiency and pulling power in a ligher weight chassis.

The larger diesel pickups now are all 8000+ GVW tanks and actually are really bad on approaches due to the long wheel base on water bars and the drama involved in turning around on a narrow road. I always take my Trooper if I need a 4x4 instead of my diesel 4x4 pickup.