Wanted: Down Jacket

Dan_Larson

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larson, you suck...but I'll give you some beta anyway. Check Sierratradingpost.com, and campmor.com, they're blowing out TNF Nuptse jackets all the time, usually around $100 also sierra usually has some Marmot and others. You'd look great in some TNF, maybe pick up on the yuppster ladies after your 80th trip up the DC. I think Lambone? was trying to get rid of a FF down parka, look at Wallstein's portaledge for sale thread, it was in there if I remember. And remember, you suck, say it with me "Dan Larson sucks".

Thanks Will, I will try the web site. Lambones was the wrong size............Oh yeah.. I suck and I don't think the D.C. is in my stars for the near future.C'Mon man it was my first year and I will be doing other routes this year.Gib Ledges in Jan (attempting anyways)I know it runs awful close to the D.C. but hey it is my first winter climb......Dan

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Dan Larson ]

Hey Dan-

Try gear.com (now owned by overstock.com).

While it's not down (polarguard), I picked up a Jagged Edge Glacier hoody for around $100-120. It's as warm and will keep you warm when wet... I wore it on Rainier this summer and it was thermonuclear (didn't do the DC, tho', just the Emmons- which sucked).

I saw they had Moonstone down jackets on sale the other day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a sweet deal on a Primaloft hooded jacket. I have a similar one and have been pretty happy with the performance of Primaloft in wet, cold conditions. I also have some of this Jagged Edge stuff which has held up very well.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=20295

I guess its the one Mr. Rodgers is refering to in his post above.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Bronco ]

So does anyone have any info on the old TNF Acrctic protrol Jacket (synthetic) I found a guy who wants to sell me one that is supposidly in good conditon. Anyone ever seen one of these things? I think they stopped making it about 3 years ago.

I am trying to make a final decision between Down or synthetic. I am kinda leaning towards synthetic because I don't want to die if it gets wet. Those of you with experece with down, have you had many problems in the cascades?

I use a down jacket and a down bag in the cascades and have never had a problem. If you will be doing most of your climbing/camping at higher elevations (in the snow) there isen't to much to worry about. The shells are usually treated with some kind of water repellant. I have also noticed that if the water just sits on the top of the shell, it wont penetrate to the down. In other words, you would have to sit or lay in some water. I have woken up to some condinsation from my tents walls that has gotten the bag a little damp, but thats not enough to cause any harm. With proper care, down will easily outlast synthetic.

I use a synthetic bag and jacket. For the Cascades, my thinking is that the snow is wet and the air is wet; sooner or later your bag is going to get wet. Down is hydrophilic. So even though you are trying to keep it dry, the down is sucking water into itself. Not as big of a deal I think if the relative humidity is lower where you are at - we just tend not to have low relative humidity in the Cascades. Wet down bags won't dry in the field either. I think if you are somewhere that the snow and air is dry, go down. For the Cascades go synthetic. I have a moonstone pg3d bag that rocks. I don't think they make my model anymore, in fact I don't know what's up with Moonstone lately, but I think mountain hardware makes one called 3rd dimension that looks similar.

-Allen