[TR] Chile-Torres del Brujo-FA & Various 1/10/2008

Trip: Chile-Torres del Brujo - Various

Date: 1/10/2008

Trip Report:

Hi all, I'll post a complete TR when I have time, I'm still in South America and need to get the photos from the other guys as well.

Torres del Brujo

In Early- Mid January Wagner Machado(Curitiba, Brasil), Joao Cassol(Forianopolis, Brasil) and David Trippett(Vancouver, B.C.) repeated the classic route "Uno Poco de Patagonia"(much congratulations to the FA team for this very classic and aesthetic line) and completed a new route in the Torres del Brujo area.

After being foiled by poor conditions on the Brujo glacier that continues to bar access to the 500m Brujo Falso and under-reported lines we finally found one last line hiding out near the ice-fall tongue from the upper ice-cap.

We completed our route free in one long day from camp.

Our route is composed of several long and high quality pitches of steep crack climbing followed by a long and convoluted lower to mid 5th class ridge with the occasional step of no harder than 5.9 leading to the summit. We saw no previous signs of ascent on our chosen line and believe our route to be entirely new and completely independent of others on the wall except perhaps the final summit ledge system(1-2p).

"A Ultima Dama"(The Last Lady)- Our proposal for the grade is IV 5.10+. Keeping in mind that the first ascent team was three, a fast party should reduce the commitment time, but we believe our proposed grades to be appropriate.

In addition, we opened some single pitch routes in the 5.11-5.10 range that I will report on later.

brujo_pan.jpg

Torres del Brujo

P1000772.JPG

the 65m first pitch of our route....Joao Cassol following, I'm belaying from the Chimney

P1000778.JPG

Wagner Machado leading up high on our route

P1000784.JPG

Joao and Wagner on the summit

P1000810.JPG

Wagner on his new 1 pitch route "Cu de Gato"

P1000823.JPG

The Brujo team- Joao Cassol, Wagner Machado and David Trippett

Dama.jpg

"A Ultima Dama" IV 5.10+

Gear Notes:

lots of gear

Approach Notes:

2 days with Mules

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, PNW/SWBC strike again killing seemingly from nowhere.

Just proud of all the bros in patagonia Jesse, Dylan, Tobey, Dave T.(okay not dave but he puffs tough enough to be from here) Colin.

Torre Trverse, Casarotto Pillar, Poincenot ina push , grade VII solo of some damn thing.

Just keeps getting better, and theres more to come