Middle Age Sucks

Recycled

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When do you have the most responsibility and burden? When you are middle age. You are under the most pressure to produce at work. You have the college payments for your kids. You might be making big payments on that great car you always wanted. It's not surprising to me at all that middle age would have the most depression.

I posted it because I have observed this in life, including friends and neighbors, not to whine. It was also interesting to me that it varies country and cultural perspectives. Expectations, perhaps?

It seems to me that things get very tough once you start dealing with supporting ageing/dying parents with disabilities, kids entering demanding years (when they're not always so cute anymore), demanding work and other life stresses all at once. I look back at being in my 20s and 30s and not realizing just how good we had it.

But, then again, the time for "retirement", more play time and fewer responsibities is getting closer by the hour.

When do you have the most responsibility and burden? When you are middle age. You are under the most pressure to produce at work. You have the college payments for your kids. You might be making big payments on that great car you always wanted. It's not surprising to me at all that middle age would have the most depression.

Age is mostly mental. CBS, you were middle-aged when you were 12, weren't you?

because a stick up his ass makes him happy

not just any stick sickie

Nope, it has to be a middle-aged stick. And it's probably not consensual for the stick. Which leads to more middle-aged depression.

i'm pretty sure any stick from any tree in any forest would do

find something that makes you happy and fucking do it.

losers

if you're so happy how come most of your posts on this board make it sound like you have a stick up your ass? :confused:

another genius with mental telepathy... feeling emotion across a bitstream over the interweb. :lmao:

Gotta give the homeboy the benefit of the doubt here . . . for all we know he's just hella good at role playing an arrogant dude with a stick up his ass on the interwebs.

because a stick up his ass makes him happy

not just any stick sickie

Nope, it has to be a middle-aged stick. And it's probably not consensual for the stick. Which leads to more middle-aged depression.

i'm pretty sure any stick from any tree in any forest would do

I'm happy when I make you all miserable. :wave:

Now go lick sack!

Age is mostly mental. CBS, you were middle-aged when you were 12, weren't you?

Whatever. Some people never reach adulthood.

It seems to me that things get very tough once you start dealing with supporting ageing/dying parents with disabilities, kids entering demanding years (when they're not always so cute anymore), demanding work and other life stresses all at once. I look back at being in my 20s and 30s and not realizing just how good we had it.

But, then again, the time for "retirement", more play time and fewer responsibities is getting closer by the hour.

I think the secret is to find joy in giving, whether to our parents (who certainly sacrificed for us) or to our children (who more than ever need role models who are caring, responsible adults) or to the community. There exists tremendous satisfaction in knowing you'll leave the world a better place than you found it. Additionally, don't put off the fun until retirement. In my case I can only get away for a few hours two or three times a week to ride my mountain bike, but those few selfish hours "charge my batteries" and motivate me to confront the routine. Then I drink a beer and collapse every night, and in the blink of an eye the alarm goes off and my feet hit the ground running. There's no time for depression.

I am not sure if I agree with you and consider hours taking off on the bike and getting out climbing to be selfish. For me that is community service for those around me. That recharge is much needed and if I don't get it I feel pretty misreable which is not good for those around me, including my daughter.