Ken needs a partner.

My name is Ken.

I am 35, single, employed, with no other commitments. I live in Walla Walla, WA. I have been rock climbing for the past 8 years. I started at Portland Rock Gym (PRG), and have been climbing outside for 7 years. I drive 3 hours standard. Dirtbagging it is fine by me. Paying for service isn't out of my financial means either.

I grew up skateboarding, joined the Army at 18, earned a certificate from Diver's Institute of Technology (DIT) in Ballard, WA, worked at a utility truck fabrication shop, left and became a residential framing contractor, returned to school at 28, and am now settling into a career.

I am looking for partners. Ideally it would be 1 or 2 people. Right now I am willing to "interview" (first climb) with as many people as are interested. I want to climb ice, never have really, but I just bought Kurt Hicks' tools if you are into that whole Karma thing and you like Kurt (I don't know him). I have snowshoes on order and plan on picking up an Alpine Touring setup after the season so I can get a deal. I am willing to rent a couple times to get out skiing. When summer comes I want to focus on rock. I went to Red Rocks twice this last year, but haven't full filled my desires in either trip (we climbed 5.7 max - Tunnel Vision, we did the variation pitch, not the OW).

I am a bit out of shape at 6'2" and 222 lb. My ideal weight is 185 lb and I was almost there 2 years ago, but with then new job and no steady partner I become lazy. That is right, at the heart of me, I am lazy. But when I am in shape, I love the feeling of exercise.

Ice - No experience

Snow - Limited experience

Rock - Multi-pitch up to 5.10, 500 feet-ish (I currently lead 5.8, but use to follow 5.10 comfortably. I have lead a couple 10's but not many)

Drop me a PM if interested. If you need more infomation, f*ck off!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crew down here at Beacon Rock will all vouch for Ken as far as getting on rock with him goes and just being a cool cat in general.

word.

but what am i, chopped meat?!? :cry: you hurt my feelings!

there's more to do on hood for sure, though i don't know if the weather will ever improve enough to do it. let's work out on the n side of beacon this winter? on days it's dry enough we can hit up the o-zone too (it's silly fun, and a nice antidote to the intimidating beacon bigwalls)

The crew down here at Beacon Rock will all vouch for Ken as far as getting on rock with him goes and just being a cool cat in general.

word.

but what am i, chopped meat?!? :cry: you hurt my feelings!

there's more to do on hood for sure, though i don't know if the weather will ever improve enough to do it. let's work out on the n side of beacon this winter? on days it's dry enough we can hit up the o-zone too (it's silly fun, and a nice antidote to the intimidating beacon bigwalls)

More like chopped liver, but I hate to think what that makes me. How about a 2 day trip to Smith when it warms up Ken? And Ivan?

Ken,

I climbed with you once at Beacon about a year or so ago. It was my first time there so we climbed the SE corner.

I have a very random schedule so if you're looking for a mid-week partner for a random day then give me a holler. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll run into you at Beacon/Ozone/Smith...

Cheers,

Erik

Ken,

I live in the Dry-Shitties, about an hour west of you. I'd be up for some ice, if I could ever get out of the house when the timing/wife/weather cooperate. Otherwise, I'd be up for trips to Spring Mountain (sport cragging) and Lightning Dome (multi-pitch bolted/trad granite slab climbing and tons of unexplored stuff across the river) starting in the spring.

If you have any contact with Walla Walla College, a chemistry prof there is an occasional partner of mine, and he gets to climb all the freakin' time because he's divorced and his kids are in college now. Plus, he's always game for taking his students out on trips. PM me if you want his contact info. He's a great guy.

And so is Kurt Hicks. You should hook up with him if you get the chance. The karma from his tools should infuse you with warm fuzzy feelings. He's a class act - very positive and encouraging.

Keep me in mind, and perhaps we can hook up. I'm old (48), been doing this climbin' thang for 20+ years, but I'm not as fat as I used to be (headed back to the gym recently).

Lightning Dome (multi-pitch bolted/trad granite slab climbing and tons of unexplored stuff across the river) starting in the spring.

I actually stood you up like a year or two ago. It was raining - glad you aren't holding that against me. :)

Exploring Idaho would be ideal, but Idaho beta seems as hard for me to come by as Montana beta. I have some hand written topos of Lightning Dome (from Hyper-spud, ID), but have never climbed (visited once).

48 is not old. Joseph schools me every time I climb with him and he is older than that!

PM sent...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

You want to give Chair NF a go on Sunday? Weather is not stellar, but not rotten either (30-40% chance of precipitation). At least the avy conditions are supposed to be stable. The recent updates seem to indicate that its in shape.

I could've gone tomorrow, but then I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. So, Sunday would be preferable.

PM me.