Peak Suggestions

doumall

I am planning a trip to the NW this coming spring (may-june). Rainier and Shasta are on our list. Looking for suggestions on two other peaks to do on the trip, elevation not important, local favorites that will get us away from the hoards on the more popular peaks. Would be interested in only one other peak if requires a multi day approach for a really worthwhle outing. Minimal glacial experience, moderate rock and ice experience, hundreds of days spent above 13k on skis.

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit up Adams from your shasta to Rainier path. its a pretty easy straight forward "climb". but the best two parts about it are

1. Hood river is only a 30min drive from the base which is home to one of the most FANTASTIC beers brewed in this region. Full Sail!!! its also a fun LITTLE city to tour while resting up.

2. (weather should be fine 4 this in spring) Anwho from trout lake to rainier theres a direct back route which hardly ANYONE travels. due to the simple fact its a barely paved forestry road. But it is a breath taking drive. The main route 23 is closed but you can by pass it on route 25. it takes a little bit of research but absolutely worth pulling up a website... Highly recomended this for those of whom wish to see the real forests of WA. Plenty of free camping along the way if you wish.

-if you mates would like more info on this just PM me. If your truely intrested I'll dig up the website address with the road info.

one piece of advice. Don't drive a vw bus threw here. I got lucky and didnt break down but it was rather demanding of my poor Annabell...

Sweet, thanks for the good input, definitely into the quality local brews and some back road sightseeing. I will for sure check out that route.

So with Adams we would probably have time for another... any other opinions? It doesnt have to be on the beaten track.

if you will be here mid week then you have lots of possibilities of getting away from the crowds. How about a little more description of what you are looking for.

For glacier, try baker south side.

for alpine rock, go to washington pass for one day rock routes.

how about how far north of rainier you are willing to travel?

Thanks everyone. We have no problem going anywhere in Washington. The main goal of the trip is moderate difficulty glacial experience. Sounds like the standard Ranier, Adams, Baker combo with Shuskan if time allots will be our plan.

How predictable is the weather in Washington in mid to late May? Are storms accurately forecast two or three days out or is it a crap shoot?

Are storms accurately forecast two or three days out or is it a crap shoot?

To call Cascades weather a crap shoot would imply that some type of favorable weather is eventually likely if you roll the dice enough times, so yes, it is definitely a crap shoot.

How predictable is the weather in Washington in mid to late May? Are storms accurately forecast two or three days out or is it a crap shoot?

Usually the weather is reasonably predictable. The typical systems are big ones you can see coming across the pacific for quite some time. The forecasts & satellite imagery give a pretty good idea when and where will get the worst of it, but aren't great as far as what the local effects will be (which can be quite dramatic given your objectives).

Of course the weather can come up sooner and change more quickly up high than the general forecasts indicate, but if you've done your basic homework it is unlikely you will be surprised by a freak storm.

As long as you are willing to modify plans based on weather you should be able to salvage a good time even with a less than wonderful forecast.

Also, consider Sahale. It is stunning and nowhere near as crowded as the popular volcanoes.

Yeah! Unless you are absolutely hellbent on ticking the bigger volcanoes, get yourself to the north cascades. There are a number of glaciated objectives, and the scenery is unbelievable.

Actually, everything is not to be missed! Start planning for a longer trip, and make sure you bring your skis! I'm getting stoked just thinking about YOUR trip. Have fun

I have summited tons in the may june time frame. Generally speaking, the weather doesn't stay bad for weeks on end. It seems like it has a tendency to stay bad for a day or two, then get better. Maybe not sunny, but enough to get up stuff.

Skiis are not needed either. Maybe snowshoes. You won't NEED them in june.

I would say go to the Alpine Lakes area, you can spend several days on several peaks. During may you will have quite a bit a snow around which make some of the approaches and descents easier. In that area there is Dragontail, Stuart and Prussik which are the main classics in the area, there is also many other peaks and classic routes. Also you can get in active rest days between volcano slogging down in the Leavenworth area cragging.

The North Cascades is another place where you can doing things in a day or spend several day ticking some peaks. If you go up to the Boston Basin area there are several peaks the more popular one are Forbidden and Eldorado. Both have really great moderate alpine routes on them.

Another place in the north cascades is WA pass, though I think they normally clear the road in May. I have wanted to go then but I have not, it look like a great time to go and climb moderate rock surrounded by snow.

TTT, I disagree about it boring people. I for one think that when people talk about the classic it is always a good reminder for me, what I have been on the adventures shared with others and future adventure that I need to keep on the list.

One of the best moderate alpine experiences I have had was the North Ridge of Forbidden. It feels remote without having a long approach, the climbing is interesting and never difficult, the glaciers are expansive and the scenery outrageous.

If you haven't spent much time in the Cascades and you want a really scenic experience, I'd second the Sahale (glacier), Stuart (longish 5.4 rock + glacier), Forbidden (4th/low 5th rock, glacier) and Shuksan (glacier) suggestions. You also might consider Eldorado (shorter approach and near to Sahale) and Snowking (ditto). These are both done as two day trips, usually, and, like Sahale and Forbidden, are approached from Hwy 20 and the Cascade River Road. Check out road conditions: the road washed out last year.

Adams is a long drive and stands alone. Beautiful mountain, but you won't get the feel of being in the middle of it all.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Skiis are not needed either. Maybe snowshoes. You won't NEED them in june.

Yeah, right. You will not need them, you will just wish you had them on Shasta, Adams, Baker, Shuksan, Sahale and maybe some others. Just a suggestion to max your fun factor since you mentioned tons of ski experience.

TTT, I disagree about it boring people. I for one think that when people talk about the classic it is always a good reminder for me, what I have been on the adventures shared with others and future adventure that I need to keep on the list.

Good point and others brought up great selections, for Rainier look at Fuhrer Finger or Ingraham direct, tho not good skis. Coleman Deming good and a better ski.

TTT